Convert downloaded youtube-videos (.flv & .mp4)

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
randomelite
Level 1
Level 1

Convert downloaded youtube-videos (.flv & .mp4)

Post by randomelite »

I'm downloading youtube-videos (.flv and .mp4-files) with youtube-dl and want to strip them down to mp3 or vorbis. Of course the -x option doesn't work so I've tried the following options:

Option 1:

avconv -i youtubevideo.flv -c vorbis -o youtubevideo.ogg

This shall according to avconv manpage and avconv --help convert youtubevideo.flv to vorbis. When compiling avconv, I checked that vorbis and mp3 was enabled (and it was). When running avconv -codecs | grep vorbis, I get DEA.L. vorbis Vorbis. Which means both encoding and decoding is available.

Option 2:

Using transmageddon, works but to option to choose bitrate. Does anyone know default bitrate for transmageddon?

Option 3:

Using arista which does not work. When creating a new conversion I can't click Create-button even after choosing all required options (such as input and output-file and bitrate). Why?

ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Convert downloaded youtube-videos (.flv & .mp4)

Post by ajgreeny »

Code: Select all

avconv -i file.flv file.mp3
works fine on my 12.04 Xubuntu using the repository version of avconv even without adding any more options for mp3 quality, no of channels, etc etc. What happens if you try the same with appropriate quality options for the output file?

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

randomelite wrote:I'm downloading youtube-videos (.flv and .mp4-files) with youtube-dl and want to strip them down to mp3 or vorbis.
Just a question. Why don't use JDownloader to downloaded your files? It downloads the file in all format available on YouTube and even extracts automagically the audio from the video in MP3, all alone.

And it works for many sites, not just YouTube...

You just need Java installed to run it and there is no need for an install. Just download the archive, extract it and double click on a file...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

ChrisAJ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ChrisAJ »

Youtube Mp3 Podcaster works a treat. It's in the firefox addons. Click on the icon and voila!

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

ChrisAJ wrote:Youtube Mp3 Podcaster works a treat. It's in the firefox addons. Click on the icon and voila!
Well, if we talk about firefox add-ons, there is DownloadHelper also. It works quite good. And not only on YouTube. It makes other things too... :)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

stewie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stewie »

Have you tried VLC?
Hack The Planet

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”