Change the bitrate to rip audio cd

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Skrach37
Level 1
Level 1

Change the bitrate to rip audio cd

Postby Skrach37 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:49 am

Hi, I'm a bit new in this linuxworld, but normaly I can manage to solve some problems looking in the web. This I could not solve so I ask about it. The problem is that I am ripping my cd's but I can't change the bitrate to have a better qualety music. So what must I do so I may change this???

Thanks!!!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Change the bitrate to rip audio cd

Postby xenopeek » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Are you using Banshee as your media player for ripping CDs? If so, you would go to its Edit > Preferences menu, then to the Source Specific tab, and select as Source "Audio CDs". Then you can choose the import format, and if desired click the Edit button to select bitrate and (if applicable) encoding mode. Enjoy the music :D

Skrach37
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Skrach37 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:23 am

Perfect!!! :) I was ripping with K3b and it only let me change the ogg format. I know this one is better quality but I think many players don't soppot it. The only difference with the K3b is that this one detects better the information than Banshee.

Many thanks

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:53 am

In K3b, go to Settings > Configure K3b, then to Plugins, then under the Audio Encoder heading the wrench button next to "K3b External Audio Encoder". There you can configure the command line for lame. For example adding the option --preset extreme will output 320 kbps VBR MP3 if you rip to MP3.

Skrach37
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Skrach37 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:47 am

Ok, I tried what you sed but my ignorance was bigger :(, the part that you say "configure the command line for lame" and "adding the option --preset extreme" I got lost. The thing is that I looked for some tutorial and couldn't find it. So if you could or give me the link to some tutorial or show me how to configure and add the option this would be GREAT!!! :)

Thanks for answering so fast.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:40 am

Not that familiar with K3b, as I usually did encoding just from the command line by invoke the lame command myself. Anyway, after you click on the wrench next to "K3b External Audio Encoder" you should select the Mp3 line and click the Edit button to edit the lame command line. The default command line for lame in K3b on Linux Mint 15 KDE is:

Code: Select all

lame -r --bitwidth 16 --little-endian -s 44.1 -h --tt %t --ta %a --tl %m --ty %y --tc %c --tn %n - %f

The "-r --bitwidth 16 --little-endian -s 44.1" part at the beginning is all for defining input format, which you should not touch. The "--tt %t --ta %a --tl %m --ty %y --tc %c --tn %n - %f" at the end is all for setting tags on the created file and specifying the file, which again you should not touch. The "-h" between that is the option that sets the quality. So, delete the "-h" and replace it with "--preset extreme" to get 320 Kbps VBR output. So as an example:

lame -r --bitwidth 16 --little-endian -s 44.1 --preset extreme --tt %t --ta %a --tl %m --ty %y --tc %c --tn %n - %f

Further information about lame's options and what other presets are available consult the lame manpage (aka manual page). This command shows you that:

man lame

If you are on KDE, you can also just open your menu, go to the Applications tab and click Help at the bottom in the list. Select "UNIX manual pages" on the left, then go to "Section 1 User Commands" and find lame in the list and click it to view its manual page there.

Skrach37
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Skrach37 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:58 am

Woauw :shock: :) , thanks for the help. seemed that I didn't had the lame installed. That's a sign of my ignorance, even so I try to do my best :roll: . Now I manange (not without your help) to include mp3, not yet the part I can choose between the bitrate. But I will get there!!!

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”