Problems converting .wma to .mp3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hepburn

Problems converting .wma to .mp3

Post by Hepburn »

I have some old .wma files (copied before WMP would rip as .mp3, so a few years ago!) which I'm trying to convert, as I can't get them to play, but I'm not having much luck. After having a look through the forum, I've tried soundconverter (I get an empty mp3 file), soundkonverter (no mp3 output choice), and nautilus-script-audio-convert (I get a 625 byte mp3 that doesn't play anything when opened). I'm a newbie, so it took a while to figure out how to get the nautilus script working! :)

I'd prefer not to go back to Windows to convert them. Any suggestions?

TTFN
Hepburn
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwisher

Re: Problems converting .wma to .mp3

Post by kwisher »

Do these files have any DRM protection? If so, I don't believe you can convert them. You might be able to create an audio cd with them then re-rip them to whatever format you want.
Hepburn

Re: Problems converting .wma to .mp3

Post by Hepburn »

After doing some digging, I've discovered that they've got DRM version 1(!). Don't know why, as I usually disabled it, but there we are. Haven't found any programs to get rid of it, other than 'lossy' ones, so will try burning then re-ripping.

Thanks for your help! :)

TTFN
Hepburn

Return to “Sound”