Can't mount video DVD Mint 16 KDE (Solved it myself)

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
nwfenton
Level 1
Level 1

Can't mount video DVD Mint 16 KDE (Solved it myself)

Post by nwfenton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:06 am

Howdy y'all,

So I've been using Mint 13 for a couple months on an old Vaio, and just upgraded to Mint16 KDE (64-bit) last week. Overall, it's a very positive experience after moving here from Windows.

Anyway, I'm having a problem. Whenever I insert certain video DVDs, the drive will spin up, sound like it's trying to read it, then a system notification will come up saying the title and asking what I want to do with the DVD, including "play with Kaffiene". Problem is, before I can react, the notification goes away, and it's like the notification was never there. Then when I try to mount it manually from /dev/sr0 or /dev/sr1, it says it can't find the device. I know it works with data discs and some video DVDs. In fact, I've noticed that the DVDs that don't work are all Warner Bros., Paramount, and Dreamworks, and the one that I found that did work was MGM... Does anyone have a clue what could be happening here, or where I should start looking?

Here's what I get from inxi:
CPU~Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5550 (-MCP-) clocked at 1000.000 Mhz Kernel~3.11.0-12-generic x86_64 Up~48 min Mem~951.2/3001.2MB HDD~250.1GB(32.0% used) Procs~166 Client~Shell inxi~1.8.4
Last edited by nwfenton on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nwfenton
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't mount video DVD Mint 16 KDE

Post by nwfenton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:52 pm

Never mind, I found out that I needed to run the script to install libdvdcss. Works fine now, I was just barking up the wrong tree at first. Here's the link to the article on playing restriced formats.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Restr ... layingDVDs

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”