Brasero won't make a DVD movie..?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NewToLinuxxx

Brasero won't make a DVD movie..?

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

I've searched and haven't found an answer to this :( I want to put a video on a dvd, for playback on a tv's DVD player. I've downloaded 'brasero' and, upon attempting to add my video file, it gives a popup saying '[filename] cannot be opened; [filename] is not suitable for audio or video media"
The file is a format that I've always used and windows (win7) has never had trouble making dvd's that play on 'normal', television-set dvd players. Do I need to convert the video file for brasero? Am able to just go get this file on a win7 and make my dvd that way, but I'd really like to know how to do it on linux mint! Thnx in advance for any guidance :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Brasero won't make a DVD movie..?

Post by Flemur »

I'm not sure brasero is 'sposed to do that (I don't use it since it tends to flakiness).

I gather you have some movie file and want to convert it and write it to a DVD for normal DVD players to play.

After looking at many pgms to do that, but with multiple files (episodes=chapters) per DVD, I ended up with "dvdstyler". Pretty easy to use and worked well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
NewToLinuxxx

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

Flemur wrote:I'm not sure brasero is 'sposed to do that (I don't use it since it tends to flakiness).

I gather you have some movie file and want to convert it and write it to a DVD for normal DVD players to play.

After looking at many pgms to do that, but with multiple files (episodes=chapters) per DVD, I ended up with "dvdstyler". Pretty easy to use and worked well.
heh, my linux-fu sucks because our definitions of "easy to use" vary wildly!! Options galore but it seems to be..doing something, and not choking like everything else (win7 or brasero) were!
/5 dvd-rw's left, will literally throw this laptop against a wall if I cannot make this dvd for them w/ 5 attempts!!
//jk, am in love w/ my mint laptop :D

[edit: am over 30min into it burning, but progress bar is still moving (~25% done now)... am expecting a bad burn / 'error' soon enough because burns never ever take more than 10min, but will wait it out and report back and - hopefully - put a [solved] addenda to the subject line ;) ]
NewToLinuxxx

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

fail :( after ~1hr it asked me to insert a blank disc (it'd been working w/ a fresh dvd-rw, and the film I'm trying to transfer is within limits of the disc @~2gb and 1.75hrs runtime.. well under the 4.7gb / 120min capacity of the disc)

I altered only 1 setting of the freshly installed dvdstyler, which was changing it from 3:4 ratio to 16:9 (the movie, as it plays on my laptop, is clearly widescreen... should I have left it at the standard 3:4 setting that dvdstyler was set for? Am going to try another disc right now, in the same manner as before, only leaving it to its 3:4 default setting)

[will update success/fail as I go, probably done trying this for the eve cuz it's been hrs of trying and multiple discs w/o success :/ But will get this onto a dvd, regardless :) ]
nomko

Post by nomko »

Brasero is known for being buggy. Could you give K3B a try? If you're running Cinnamon or Mate don't worry about the extra KDE libraries being installed. They won't do any harm, they are just needed to run K3B.

There's also another alternative which looks very noce: Silicon Empire burning tools. It's an in QT4 written application and looks very clean and modern. I tried it a couple of times and it works great.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

If it is your own made video, you can make DVDPlayerable DVD using DVDStyler.
Make your own video DVD with DVDStyler program
NewToLinuxxx

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

nomko wrote:Brasero is known for being buggy. Could you give K3B a try? If you're running Cinnamon or Mate don't worry about the extra KDE libraries being installed. They won't do any harm, they are just needed to run K3B.

There's also another alternative which looks very noce: Silicon Empire burning tools. It's an in QT4 written application and looks very clean and modern. I tried it a couple of times and it works great.
I'm using XFCE, will that cause problem on its own and, if so, what should i do / download / change to use those apps? Thanks :)

@administroll- no I did not make the video myself, and as prior in-thread I've tried dvdstyler to no success :(
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

If you're running Cinnamon or Mate don't worry about the extra KDE libraries being installed. They won't do any harm, they are just needed to run K3B.
it's install is something over 80Mb in Ksupport files,
- but K3b does work better with blank disk's than Brasero does.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Pierre wrote:
If you're running Cinnamon or Mate don't worry about the extra KDE libraries being installed. They won't do any harm, they are just needed to run K3B.
it's install is something over 80Mb in Ksupport files,
- but K3b does work better with blank disk's than Brasero does.
Well put. Installed on XFCE and it is worth every bit of the "extras". To create a DVD playable on DVD players I followed this outline with success:

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/03/20/create ... s-and-k3b/
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

heh, my linux-fu sucks because our definitions of "easy to use" vary wildly!!

Yeah, it takes a bit of getting used to - but they all do. Most linux apps of this kind are pretty quirky.

My main hassle was the menus: none of the "automatic" stuff would make 10+ titles/chapters on one page (i.e., a line of text per chapter, without some useless icons wasting space and making a multi-page menu), so I had to laboriously add "Buttons" -> Properties (of each button) -> point Nth button to Nth title/chapter. Didn't use any of the default layouts.

FWIW, I used dvdstyler to make an .iso file, then burned that with xfburn (so far xfburn has always worked fine on ISO files, whether linux installs or movie DVDs; perhaps not so well for other burning, where k3b is the best).

Hint: rather than wasting disks, make an ISO file and test-play it with VLC.

To make an ISO with dvdstyler: start a project (e.g. add some file(s)*), then the option appears under "File->Burn".
*If you don't have anything to "burn" yet, it just complains and you can't set anything - quirky!

So my basic workflow was:
- start dvdstyler and check the settings (IIRC, defaults were close to what I wanted; it remembers settings for the next project).
- add all the files you're going to use.
- for the menu, add a plain-text "button" for each input file/chapter and make it point to the chapter (Rt click->Properties). This was a PITA.
- "burn" to an iso file.
- test iso file with vlc.
- burn iso file with xfburn.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
nomko

Post by nomko »

NewToLinuxxx wrote: I'm using XFCE, will that cause problem on its own and, if so, what should i do / download / change to use those apps?
No, K3B won't do any harm to your Xfce installation. As said before, K3B is a KDE application which will need some KDE library files and extra packages which are dependencies of K3B.

Even Silicon Empire doesn't do no harm to your system. It's a QT4 written application and is desktop independent. The only "issue" here is that Silicon doe not integrate in the standard menu unfortunatly. So a starter must be made manually. But when it works it works like a charm!
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep more info on type of disc you are trying to copy? burn?

An original movie disc is Dual-Layer up to 8.5gb in size. And needs specialized software to compress image down to fit on Single Layer 4.4gb disc. K3b I use after compressing movie disc.and will not deal with copying original movie dvd's.

I run DvdShrink in wine for ripping movies and compressing down to fit on a single layer 4.4Gb DVD. And then use K3b to burn as a Dvd-Video. As have yet found a linux program that is as flexible and quick as DvdShrink.
Arius
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Arius »

Orbmiser, how did you successfully install DVDShrink in Linux Mint?
5.4.0-94-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0
Cinnamon 4.4.8 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

DVDshrink is irrelevant to the OP's question. In fact it's kind of the opposite of what they want.

The OP never said what format they are going to convert to. DVD compliant video is a specific video/audio format. K3b is just a disc burner and doesn't convert to DVD compliant video/audio and no other disc burners do either.

If DVDStyler didn't work ... and what went wrong? is it the app or do you just not know how to use it?... try Devede.

Converting to xvid/mp3 will usually work but you can't assume that a DVD player will handle that.

I haven't tried Devede, actually I haven't converted/burned to DVD in years and that was in Windows. I never actually did find a program for that that was much good. AVStoDVD was the best of a bad lot.

You shouldn't expect any new dazzling DVD conversion apps any time soon. The legality is questionable, the devs are subject to legal hassles, and physical media like optical disc is a dying thing anyway.

Most input file video formats should work but HEVC input video could be tricky. It's too new a format to have good open source support. AVC took long enough. Sometimes video files dl'ed from the web give trouble because the original encoder had installed one of those crap WIndows codec packs that have compatibility problems. K-Lite is a common crappy one but there are far worse.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Hoser Rob wrote: If DVDStyler didn't work ... and what went wrong? is it the app or do you just not know how to use it?... try Devede.
DVDStyler crashes in Mint 17 [Solved] -> viewtopic.php?t=199692

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove libwxsvg0 libwxsvg-dev
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/dvdstyler
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dvdstyler dvdstyler-data mjpegtools
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

Arius wrote:Orbmiser, how did you successfully install DVDShrink in Linux Mint?
You can with PlayOnLinux + Wine!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

Return to “Sound”