Sound Recorder

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Sound Recorder

Post by borgward » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Looking for simple program to record sound. Nothing sophisticated like Audacity. I used Sound Recorder with LM14. Can't find it for 17. We need it for recording band practice sessions. Need something quick and dirty.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Sound Recorder

Post by DrHu » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:05 pm

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/999
  • --that might do the trick for you
---------------------------------------

http://xmodulo.com/2013/01/how-to-captu ... -file.html
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ng-854942/

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio
Linux, Ubuntu/Mint with Alsa or Pulseaudio
--default sound control for Gnome/Ubuntu/Mint desktops..

Usually people will want to use a proper/complete audio control system (an application for example), and will seek out standard or programs of their own choice to manage audio recording within the OS
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb04/a ... rimage.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_L ... o_software

Your program, Sound recorder is available as a source file
--however you should try GDEBI to see if it can find a *.deb file and try that install..
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multimed ... 2742.shtml
  • To build/compile and install a source file, you will need something such as build-essential
    --which adds the component parts needed to compile source data, including make to install it
    --remember to read any README information or just search on the internet for how to install Gnome sound recorder..

So either go simple with direct microphone input/recording to your control program (Pulseaudio) or use a real audio program to manage recordings

borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Post by borgward » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Just recording using the built in mic's on Dell Inspiron 1520. Worked well with Sound Recorder program I added to 14. Also recorded off of record out of Peavey Sound system. Eventhough the sound was balanced thru the monitors and mains, the drums and Bass were way too hot on the recording. Went back to using the laptops built in mic's. We're not going or studio quality, just something usable for band members to take home to learn new songs, so we can nail them next time we play Others have noticed that "Sound Recorder" is not available for 17. It was very easy to use. Nothing to fuss with. just start, stop, save. I play bass, and am able to stop, save and type in title between songs. Does 17 have anything like the old "Sound Recorder" ?

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon - 64bit

borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Post by borgward » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:19 pm

I downloaded it to my desktop. How do I install it?

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:50 am

Right click on the downloaded package and select "Extract here" from the drop down menu. That will generate a folder which will contain a file with instructions on how to compile.
I do not use this program so I am unable to endorse it. It just seemed like what you were looking for.

borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Post by borgward » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Synaptic Package manager > Gnome Desktop Environment (universe) > gnome media - This package contains a few media utilities for the GNOME desktop:
* the GNOME Sound Recorder;
* the GStreamer properties capplet.

A+ for hiding it so well!

borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Post by borgward » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Sound Recorder is now installed, but not working. I get "gnome-control-center is not installed in the path"

I searched Synaptic for it. First on the list was configuration applets for GNOME - shared data along with 9 nother packages. I am not sure which to install.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:17 pm

Linux MInt 17 is a different operating system to Linux Mint 14 and does not use the Gnome Desktop Environment. You can install "gnome" via synaptic and then chose on login which desktop to boot into. I cannot guarantee that you will not break something in Linux Mint so proceed at your own risk.
I did something similar in Ubuntu when Unity first appeared.

Why don't you install VirtualBox in Linux Mint 17 and then install Linux Mint 13 in that to get Sound Recorder. LM 13 is supported until 2017 by which time there might be a new sound recording program.

borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Post by borgward » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:55 pm

kyphi wrote:Linux MInt 17 is a different operating system to Linux Mint 14 and does not use the Gnome Desktop Environment. You can install "gnome" via synaptic and then chose on login which desktop to boot into.
Anything I save while using the Gnome Desktop will be available when I boot to 17 Desktop?
kyphi wrote:Why don't you install VirtualBox in Linux Mint 17 and then install Linux Mint 13 in that to get Sound Recorder.
13 would be permanently installed, or would I have to install it everytime I wanted to use it? Could files be saved to 17's /home?
kyphi wrote:LM 13 is supported until 2017 by which time there might be a new sound recording program.
I have a separate /home so I could install the next LTS version w/o loosing my personal files. Could I install 13 at / instead? I know I could dual boot 13 with 17, but I don't want to do that.

octathlon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by octathlon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:33 am

Mint 19 Cinnamon 64bit on Dell Inspiron N7110 Dual core Intel Core i5-2450M
Mint 19 XFCE 64bit on System76 Pangolin Intel Core 2 duo
Full-time Linux user since 2007, Mint since 2014

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:42 am

Install VirtualBox, then Install Linux MInt 13 in VirtualBox and access Sound Recorder.

The way it works is that VirtualBox is a menu entry in Linux Mint 17 and Linux Mint 13 is a menu entry in VirtualBox. There is no dual booting involved.

borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Post by borgward » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:17 am

kyphi wrote:Install VirtualBox, then Install Linux MInt 13 in VirtualBox and access Sound Recorder.

The way it works is that VirtualBox is a menu entry in Linux Mint 17 and Linux Mint 13 is a menu entry in VirtualBox.
Once I have VirtualBox in 17, will 13 remain installed in it or will I have to install 13 every time? I have 2 GB RAM. Will Sound Recorder running in VirtualBox require a lot more RAM than normal?

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:18 pm

In VirtualBox you can install as many operating systems as you have resources for and they will remain there until you delete them.
To access any of these operating systems you click on the VirtualBox entry in your main menu and when VirtualBox opens it will list all installed operating systems. Select the one you want to use, Linux Mint 13, and it loads. Once it opens, since you only want to access Sound Recorder, you can open Sound Recorder and then "Save as Snapshot". Then, in future, Linux Mint with Sound Recorder will open within seconds directly to Sound Recorder when you activate the saved snapshot. You can even create a shortcut to the saved snapshot of Sound Recorder in Linux Mint 13 on your main menu in Linux Mint 17.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:45 am

Here is a great one:
Record audio from applications, microphones, webcams and more in Linux Mint

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:osmoma/audio-recorder
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install audio-recorder
LM19-1 64 Mate, i7-6770K fanless Thermalright HR22, Asus Maximus VIII Gene, 32Gb RAM, NVMe SSD Samsung 960 PRO M.2, 25Gb ext2 /, 1GB swap, the rest is ext4 /home, Vbox Win8.1-64

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:59 am

Nothing sophisticated like Audacity.

Why not? Using it is a LOT simpler than some of the advice you're getting here.

Start audacity, hit the red 'record' button, record stuff, hit stop when you're done, File->Export to whatever format you want.

IOW, about the same effort as running SoundRecorder, except that you can see what you're recording - levels and waveform - and adjust the input volume as needed.

IIRC, "SoundRecorder" doesn't even show the volume level of what it's recording, which to me makes it unusable - unless you enjoy listening to files of silence, or files with clipping, when you least expect it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:39 am

Hi guys, I am unable to run Audacity. May be someone can tell me how to run Audacity?

See my story here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=174754
LM19-1 64 Mate, i7-6770K fanless Thermalright HR22, Asus Maximus VIII Gene, 32Gb RAM, NVMe SSD Samsung 960 PRO M.2, 25Gb ext2 /, 1GB swap, the rest is ext4 /home, Vbox Win8.1-64

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi guys, I am unable to run Audacity. May be someone can tell me how to run Audacity?
See my story here: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=174754

I saw that post (the response was new, tho, and I disagree with it since all my audio and video stuff runs just fine under Mint17).

Have you tried playing a .wav file rather than .mp3?
Can you play mp3 files with other software? (e.g. vlc or mpg123)

For lack of anything intelligent to say, I'd try purging and reinstalling
- audacity
- alsa
- pulse
Remove ~/.pulse* and any other "*pulse*" folders under ~.
...and when that doesn't work, reinstall
- gstreamer*
- libgstreamer-*
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Post by borgward » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:14 pm

Flemur wrote:Hi guys, I am unable to run Audacity. May be someone can tell me how to run Audacity?
See my story here: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=174754

I saw that post (the response was new, tho, and I disagree with it since all my audio and video stuff runs just fine under Mint17).
Can you list all the audio and video stuff that you are running?

vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:31 pm

I wrote to Audacity support - they told me:

You can select the (hw) playback device - so bypassing pulse.
Because you are now trying to access the device directly through ALSA, if any other program is accessing the device then it will not be available for Audacity.
Also this denies exclusive access of a device to PulseAudio, so other applications using PulseAudio will not be able to use that device.
Or you can try launching Audacity at a terminal with
env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30 audacity

I tried to start Audacity from the Terminal with env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30 audacity - it ran fine. Now I wonder how to fix this problem permanently - please help me and many other people if you know!

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”