Sound only on left side [SOLVED]

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Memoox
Level 1
Level 1

Sound only on left side [SOLVED]

Post by Memoox »

Hello everyone

I've installed Linuxmint 17 on my old home PC, it has and old AMD ATHLON X2 processor in a Asus M2N-SLI motherboard. 3GB RAM, ATI HD 6670 and, and old and horrible Creative X-FI Xtreme Audio soundcard.

I use FL Studio for home, but since version 11, i hear thousands of clicks and pops and is impossible to work on. Win 7 64 bit gives me horrible clicks, Win8 doesn't work, so i went back to XP, it was nice to see my pc again faster with xp, but the clicks and pops, are still there.

Anyway, so now i'm coming back to Linuxmint for this PC, but in this version (17 I think is Qiana) I don't know why I only get sound from my left speaker. I've checked the hardware and it's fine. I've tried Ubuntu Studio and i get sound from both speakers, for a while until it crashes. So since i really prefer Linuxmint over Ubuntu, is there a fix for this?.

Thanks a lot
Last edited by Memoox on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Memoox
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Sound only on left side

Post by Memoox »

No solution, really?

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

1 - It sounds like (ha ha) your sound card might be flaky.
2 - If you have pulseaudio, delete ~/.pulse
3 - Check the mixers to make sure that they're not cutting off the right channel.
- pavucontrol (if you have it)
- alsamixer
If none of that works...
4 - Unless you need to record "what you hear", uninstall (purge) pulseaudio (and reboot).
Everything else *should* run OK thru alsa (which you already have).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

carlold52
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlold52 »

Same problem, whether through the on-board sound or the soundblaster live 24 bit card. sound is OK in stereo but not in 5.1 - no right channels. software indicates no problems, but...

MasonF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MasonF »

If you have sound only on one side, you may have the same problem I had. Fortunately, it's incredibly easy to fix (in most cases). And I can't understand why the problem exists in the first place.

Open Terminal.

Type:

Code: Select all

alsamixer
Stretch the window out so you can see all the bar graphs. If the graphs show "sound" only on one side, simply use the arrow keys to move to the appropriate graph and use the up arrow key to increase the volume. Keep hitting the up key until both sides are at 100%, then use the down arrow key to bring both sides down into the white area. If you don't know which bar graph to change, change them all, it only takes a few seconds. Which settings matter depends on your sound system -- how many speakers you have.

Open "Sound" in System Settings. Find the "Test Speakers" button (probably under the Hardware tab). Click on both speakers to make sure you have sound. You may have to set your input and output devices to the correct settings for your sound device. Close "Sound" and in Terminal hit <esc>, which exits alsamixer, and then close Terminal.

I had this problem with several editions of Mint 16 and 17 and for some reason the problem in Mint 17 Cinnamon persisted even with the changes in alsamixer, but this fix worked for every other edition. When I couldn't get the sound to work right in Mint 17 Cinnamon, I uninstalled it and moved to MATE, which works correctly.

My question would be, why is Mint "sent out" with the alsamixer set for sound in only one channel?

carlold52
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlold52 »

Thank you, all fixed!
I thad already done that, however didn't realise there were two bars within each graph "box".
Great advice to press the up arrow on each box to the max and then bring each down 'till the red disappears.

Thanks again, appreciate it.

regards

MasonF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MasonF »

You're welcome. Don't forget to put [SOLVED] in the subject line. That will help others find the answer if they have the same problem.

Now, I get to start my own thread with a sound problem I'm having. It never ends.

Memoox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Memoox »

Hi

After some much time without internet, anyway, it worked!. Thanks a lot!

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”