Most stable graphic equalizer for LM17 THREAD CLOSED

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
69Rixter
Level 4
Level 4

Most stable graphic equalizer for LM17 THREAD CLOSED

Post by 69Rixter »

Afternoon:

Yes, it's me again. Ok, I've been looking for a system wide graphic equalizer for LM17. Read about pulse-audio however it seems there are some inherent bugs. So, would like to hear from anyone using pulse-audio or any other graphic equalizer, within LM17. I'd like to know what your running and problems(if any) and what you like/dislike about the particular equalizer your using. Would also help to know where you got the package.
Rick
Last edited by 69Rixter on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catfish12
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Most stable graphic equalizer for LM17

Post by catfish12 »

69Rixter
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 69Rixter »

Thanks catfish12:

I'll check it out!!

Rick
69Rixter
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 69Rixter »

Catfish 12:

:oops: :oops: Have already been reading up this site. But Thanx anyway.
Rick
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

I have installed the pulse-audio mixer but after experimenting with different settings I keep coming back to Flat as the preferred setting. Then the music sounds best, everything is in balance. With, for instance, setting Rock I hear the bass and trebble sounds louder than the middle part, seems I am missing something here. It is a nice program, installs just fine, works great, but for me I stay with no equalizer.
69Rixter
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 69Rixter »

REPLY TO DEMUS:

Thanks for replying. I understand there are those who don't want to fiddle around with a graphic equalizer, and that's OK. For me, I'm an audio 'snob" and I do appreciate having the ability to "tweak" the music I'm listening to. And, I'll find one (sooner or later) that meets my standards.
:twisted: Rick
Redsandro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Redsandro »

So I checked out this http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/install- ... ystem.html page, but it doesn't seem to work for me.
After killing and restarting PulseAudio, sliding the equalizer sliders gives error messages in the terminal.

Code: Select all

$ pactl load-module module-equalizer-sink
$ pactl load-module module-dbus-protocol
$ qpaeq

(python:21539): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(python:21539): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

saving state
Is this hackery really the most reliable way to get an equalizer over your audio in 2015? Google seems to think so.

I find that development of features I would consider to be something essential to a (competing) operating system sometimes happen crazy slow or not at all. When I was a kid, I loved hacking around to get some feature to work. But when you're a working man, ain't nobody got time for that!

For example, I just plug my headphone into my smartphone. It's a lot simpler than waiting for an upstream Linux developer to become a fan of music.
🤘 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio.
Ninite-killer. 1000+ packages.
Redsandro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Redsandro »

Oops. It does not work on digital audio. It works for analog headphones when you select this:

Now it works regarding of the error messages.
🤘 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio.
Ninite-killer. 1000+ packages.
69Rixter
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 69Rixter »

REPLY TO : redsandro

Appreciate your response. All info duly noted. I haven't installed/used any GE other than the one w/ VLC package. So far, it's working well for me.

Thanx:
Hoser Rob
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Hoser Rob »

I just have to say, if the OP wants the most stable system wide pulseaudio equalizer, why recommend installing something from a 3rd party un tested ppa that's probably going to make your system unstable? Especially something involving pulseaudio, which has a ton of dependencies. Frankly it sounds kinda dumb. Flame all you want ...

I never use EQ on music. If you don't like the sound try moving your speakers. An inch. Seriously.

I do EQ video. All that pounding bass on parts that are supposed to be sinister drives me nuts. So I cut the low bass.

This is simple for me because I don't use the same program for music and video.
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

So, would like to hear from anyone using pulse-audio or any other graphic equalizer, within LM17.

Try the alsa EQ ("libasound2-plugin-equal", or search synaptic for "alsaequal"); it doesn't come with an interface.

It's supposed to be accessible thru alsamixer, but that didn't work for me: "qasmixer" works (View->Show device selection: ON; select Equal from main GUI to show the sliders) and is much better than alsamixer anyway.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
69Rixter
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 69Rixter »

REPLY TO HOSER ROB:

I'm not at all sure what your trying to say? Are you suggesting all 3rd party apps are a waste? Are you suggesting I dont' want or need an equalizer? Are you saying because you don't use one, noone else should either? Well, right now, it doesn't matter for my laptop crashed, HARD, last night, and I'm currently limping along on a pendrive w/ a "live" version. So, until I either get another laptop, or somehow, miraciously, repair/rebuild this one, this post is irrelevant and therefore, I'll cancel it.
Stay Sharp:

REPLY TO Flemur:

Thank You for your responce. I'll have to cancel this post (please see above post). But, to answer your reply, I'd been using VLC's EQ and it had been all I needed at the time.
Stay Sharp:
:twisted:Rick
Neutrino
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Most stable graphic equalizer for LM17 THREAD CLOSED

Post by Neutrino »

Hi.

I recently installed Mint 17.1 64bit Cinammon on a MacBook Pro Retina (it runs beautifully btw).

I'm not an audio snob at all and if anything have a bit of a tin ear, however I'm using some Yamaha NXB-55 bluetooth speakers which while generally awesome have a bit too much bass for watching StarCraft II casts in a small apartment. While that can be often be adjusted using the equalizer in a media player that doesn't help with streaming web videos so I was looking for a system wide solution to dial the bass back a bit.

After an evening of Googling here's what worked for me.

Ensure you have alsamixer installed.

> alsamixer

I can't remember whether it was installed already or whether it prompted me to install it from the default repositories. Once you've verified you have it press escape to close it.

Launch the Synaptic Package Manager.
Start Menu -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager

Search for the package libasound2-plugin-equal (0.6-6) and install it.

Open terminal and execute
> alsamixer -D equal

Adjust your settings how you want them and reload alsa.

> alsa force-reload

After reloading alsa I also reboot each time although I'm not sure whether that's necessary. Once the levels are adjusted and alsa reloaded the levels persist across reboots so you don't need to keep resetting them.

Note that the equalizer doesn't update the levels dynamically though so you'll have to experiment by adjusting the levels and reloading alsa a few times to get it how you like it. That wasn't a problem for me since once I've got it how I want it I don't expect to need to adjust it much.

Hope that helps someone.
69Rixter
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Most stable graphic equalizer for LM17 THREAD CLOSED

Post by 69Rixter »

Hey Neutrino

Hey, if your working with asla and your satisfied with it's performance, then by all means use it. If you would care to check out any other 'equalizer", VLC has one built-in their lastest version. I think it works well and VLC also has a lot of other "features" built-in that I use. So, for me, VLC is a great all around "tool" for audio projects. Just FYI!
Stay Sharp:
:twisted: [size=Rick150][/size]

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”