Dolphin not recognizing mp3 player.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whichonespink?
Level 2
Level 2

Dolphin not recognizing mp3 player.

Post by whichonespink? »

mint 17-dolphin-MATE

i've bought a new mp3 player and i've just connected it to the computer but there is no trace of it in dolphin.

any help will be appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
whichonespink?
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Dolphin not recognizing mp3 player.

Post by whichonespink? »

i tried a different usb cable and although the player still didn't show up in dolphin it does appear in 'computer' now.
i tried opening it up but each time i get a message saying maybe it's not mounted.
i've gone into 'menu' - 'disks' and the player does show up there.
is 'more actions' - 'edit mount options' any use?

i ended up going into windows and transferred some music to the player, however i have a lot more music in dolphin.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

whichonespink? wrote:mint 17-dolphin-MATE

i've bought a new mp3 player and i've just connected it to the computer but there is no trace of it in dolphin.

any help will be appreciated, thanks.
Hi whichonespink? (Pink Floyd fan?),

Why are you not using the Linux Mint Mate default music manager player program Banshee to update your music to your device? It might help to know what your MP3 device is. Obviously cables matter and you must have the right cable for the device; or you could use bluetooth if you have that on your system and the MP3 device is bluetooth

Also, Dolphin is the default file manager for Linux Mint KDE and Caja is the default file manager for Linux Mint Mate; so, how and why are you using dolphin?

To install Banshee or to get the most current version of Banshee, bring up a console terminal prompt,
and type in each line below, or copy and paste each line below one at a time.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:banshee-team/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install banshee
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

phd21 wrote:... Why are you not using the Linux Mint Mate default music manager player program Banshee to update your music to your device? It might help to know what your MP3 device is. Obviously cables matter and you must have the right cable for the device; or you could use bluetooth if you have that on your system and the MP3 device is bluetooth
If the file manager doesn't recognize the device I kind of doubt anything else will either ...
... Dolphin is the default file manager for Linux Mint KDE and Caja is the default file manager for Linux Mint Mate; so, how and why are you using dolphin?
Maybe because the OP installed it? I've done that myself on multiple non KDE installs and never had any problem.
To install Banshee or to get the most current version of Banshee, bring up a console terminal prompt,

sudo apt-get update
IMHO installing a bleeding edge non beta tested version of a program the OP probably already has is an extremely wrong way to solve this. I never install from 3rd party ppas unless absolutely necessary.

What the OP should do is see whether the OS recognizes the device at all. Plug it in and enter this into the terminal:

Code: Select all

lsusb
and then post results here in Code tags.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hoser Rob wrote:
phd21 wrote:... Why are you not using the Linux Mint Mate default music manager player program Banshee to update your music to your device? It might help to know what your MP3 device is. Obviously cables matter and you must have the right cable for the device; or you could use bluetooth if you have that on your system and the MP3 device is bluetooth
If the file manager doesn't recognize the device I kind of doubt anything else will either ...
... Dolphin is the default file manager for Linux Mint KDE and Caja is the default file manager for Linux Mint Mate; so, how and why are you using dolphin?
Maybe because the OP installed it? I've done that myself on multiple non KDE installs and never had any problem.

sudo apt-get update
IMHO installing a bleeding edge non beta tested version of a program the OP probably already has is an extremely wrong way to solve this. I never install from 3rd party ppas unless absolutely necessary.

What the OP should do is see whether the OS recognizes the device at all. Plug it in and enter this into the terminal:

Code: Select all

lsusb
and then post results here in Code tags.
Hi Hoser Rob, whichonespink?, and anyone else,

1. I agree that if the file manager does not recognize the device, then the device probably won't be recognized by another program. Did you check "Caja" the default file manager for your Linux Mint Mate version to see if the device showed up on that? Once the device is plugged into a USB port, the console terminal command "lsusb" should show it, if you are using the correct cable for the device; although sometimes they will work with a cable for another device.

2. Regarding the file manager in use: sometimes installing a file manger that was designed for another Linux edition or distro, like KDE 's "Dolphin" file manager, may include other program(s) and their dependencies (other files) which may have undesirable results, like confusing the system.

3. Regarding installing a program(s) using the PPA method: If the PPA comes from a reputable source and or the actual software designers or hardware manufacturers, and it is the "stable" version (sometimes you have a choice), then it should be okay to use and install it that way. If you are unsure, then it is always recommended that you do not install the PPA and related program(s). Of course, you could do some research in this forum and elsewhere, to verify that a PPA source is a good one. In this case, because we are talking about "Banshee" and the PPA is from "Banshee", I would think it would be ok to use and install it; there is nothing stated that this PPA and related programs are an "unstable" or "bleeding edge" version of Banshee. If you do not like the program or the related PPA, you can remove it, uninstall the PPA, and or the program. FYI: I read that it is not a good idea to remove programs that are the default for a particular Linux Mint edition or Distro, and "Banshee" is the default music player manager and "Caja" is the default file manager for your version because other programs in your system may rely on that program to function properly; even if you decide to install and try another program like those.

FYI: An example of how to remove a PPA from your system using the console terminal promtp:

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:ppa:banshee-team/ppa
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Sound”