Re: Video Tearing Nvidia Optimus Hybrid cards

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ack0329
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ack0329 »

As the subject says I have an annoying video tearing when using vlc or moving windows quickly, and it is a deal breaker with 3D gaming.

I just installed Skyrim and think I may have a gold install and would love to post my results to help others but this tearing screws up the game.

Please help so I may help winehq with a new awesome report on how to get get Skyrim possibly working VERY well.

Specifically it tears along an "X" of the screen only through the HDMI (not an issue in Windows at all),

Let me stay out of Windows Please :?

Thanks -and i am moniitoring replys and will respond for others with the solution

Cheers, Mark

Here is my
$ inxi -F

Code: Select all

System:    Host: Aarawn Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP ENVY TS 17 Notebook PC version: 0884100000305B00000620100
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1966 version: KBC Version 93.52 Bios: Insyde version: F.65 date: 11/20/2014
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz 5: 800.00 MHz 6: 800.00 MHz 7: 800.00 MHz 8: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 740M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.113
Audio:     Card-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: a0:d3:c1:98:20:f5
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 driver: iwlwifi 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 68:17:29:fd:bc:40
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2500.5GB (52.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS72757 size: 750.2GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: HGST_HTS541010A9 size: 1000.2GB 3: USB id: /dev/sdc model: 7500AAC_External size: 750.2GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 22G used: 7.6G (37%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 633G used: 396G (66%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 20.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 58.0C mobo: 56.0C gpu: 53C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 236 Uptime: 41 min Memory: 2590.2/15985.2MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
Last edited by ack0329 on Sat May 09, 2015 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
ack0329
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Video Tearing thru HDMI- Recurring problem - Please Help

Post by ack0329 »

Bumpity Bump

Thanks for all the 30 views, any suggestions or questions would be quickly addressed.

I might add that I am one of many people with this problem and for many, this is a deal breaker. I will certainly explain in newbie detail the solution if anyone has the gumption to help troubleshoot.

Thanks in advance, Mark

p.s. w.r.t. My ge3tting Skyrim to work using PlayonLinux
the answer is INDEED with ULTRA Settings and 300fpm after my tweaks,
(before only LOW Settings worked ! and even then a pathetic and glitchy unbearable 5-30 fpm.
ack0329
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ack0329 »

Bump Bumpity Bump
sverkere
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sverkere »

This has helped some mainly Nvidia users.

CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
CLUTTER_VBLANK=True

in /etc/environment

and reboot
ack0329
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ack0329 »

Thanks for your help, I will try it now on a fresh install with new NVIDIA-346 drivers that have successfully installed but still tearing just as bad. I hope this helps.

Cheers, Mark
ack0329
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ack0329 »

Sad to say still tearing arghhhh - What is the matter with these NVIDA drivers????? 3000+ fps, 8 GB dedicated 8 cores i7, and stupid simple video tearing? arghh again

Any other suggestions welcome, and thanks for the previous attempt.

Mark :?
sverkere
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sverkere »

A risky but easy way to get a consistent system may be to get
the latest drivers from:
https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

I think you should try this since your system is just newly installed anyway.

What you do is the following:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

reboot

I don't think you need to do anything more but if that doesn't
give you the latest drivers and/or solve your problem you may want
to check out the end of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkKkuzWlaGo
ack0329
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ack0329 »

Thanks for your concern.

For the record I have done that already, as well as the "Swat" PPA. And for newbies reading this, as always upgrading my driver a few days ago crippled my system (I knew the risk). That's what forced me to re-install yesterday, and with a clean install and a few tricks I successfully installed NVIDIA's April 2015 version 4.5.0 NVIDIA 346.59 cutting edge driver, hoping it would do the trick.

If anything WORSE!

Any other ideas?

Cheers, Mark
sverkere
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sverkere »

Three things come to mind

1. up the kernel

2. Assuming cinnamon, play with the setting "Disable compositing för full-screen windows"
in System Settings/Preferences/General

3. Although I have zero problem with tearing and cinnamon (Intel), many claim that
tearing problems goes away when using compiz. You could try that in Mate.
ack0329
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ack0329 »

sverkere on Tue May 05, 2015 2:18 pm
Three things come to mind

1. up the kernel
2. Assuming cinnamon, play with the setting "Disable compositing för full-screen windows"
in System Settings/Preferences/General
3. Although I have zero problem with tearing and cinnamon (Intel), many claim that
tearing problems goes away when using compiz. You could try that in Mate.
1/ I already have the latest 3.13 Kernel and am installing the latestlates 3.16 as I write (tried it in yesterdays rig before screwing everything up - no help - but still worth a try.
2/ Yep just tried that "Disable compositing för full-screen windows", I will try a game after I log back in with the new 3.16 kernel - Optimistic! :D
3/ Yes I am using Cinnamon, tried Mate a while back but really don't like it and would rather stay away from KDE (though I do love compiz)

Linux Mint Forum is getting to be as good as Ubuntu Forums with quick replies - AMAZING :P

edit....some more oddities that may help are ...
- when nvidia is being used, when I log back in I get a black background (no wallpaper), if i disconnect my 55" hdmi during login and reconnect after - No Problem
- so it further makes me think Mint/Nvidia don't like the HDMI - which is ridiculous in today’s day,
Intel or even Nouveuax - No Problem
Last edited by ack0329 on Tue May 05, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sverkere
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sverkere »

Lou has a tearing video that might be relevant to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw7s5M3fgcE
ack0329
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ack0329 »

Thanks again, watched the video, and am afraid to put my disappointing news, but my suspissions are getting confirmed.

So for the record - awesome video, and my nvidia-settings are tweaked better than ever before.

Still the serious tearing along the x-axis.

It seems that the issue is between Nvidia and Mint Cinnamon - mostly Nvidia.
Oddly setting v-sync or refresh rate is not in nvidia settings when the 55" LG monitor is attached, nvidia treats it and the laptop as one it appears. Likely something to do with the issue. No problem with Intel’s video card - odd, or Windows of course.

Any new ideas welcome - this must be common.

Cheers :cry:
sverkere
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sverkere »

ack0329
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ack0329 »

OK now i can say this is solved,

first my easy-peasy solution any mint user can achieve in less than 15 minutes. Second some additional thoughts for advanced users.

The solution was simply to install mate-desktop which comes with compiz desktop manager, enable both and done.

Now the more complete step with a few tricks.
If in cinnamon as I was - Install mate (work side by side an an easy transition from cinnamon - known to be less of a resource hog too, and has Compiz - AWESOME!
#sudo apt Install mint-meta-mate mate-desktop mate-common (this also installs all packages needed including Compiz)
Restart or log out, and at the login screen choose the session "Mate".
Choose compiz for Window Managers - Linux's Best And Choose System/ Preferences/ Desktop Settings/ Windows/ choose Compiz Desktop effects - Reboot )
An aside, don't forget about Compiz's Desktop Cube. still the best virtual desktop manager.

Also don't forget to Check off "Window Decoration" in CompizConfig Settings Manager/ Effects, but to choose Linux's best window Decoration you need to Use the "Tweak Tool"

I sure hope this helps others.

And for the record here is why it works and what DID NOT work
My System Hp Envy J078ca High End gaming laptop, I74700MQ 2.4-3.4Ghz, Intel Haswell and Nvidia GF730M Optimus and HybridGraphics Cards Setup, Linux Mint 17.1 with Mate Kernel 3.13.0-52ma

1/ The real problem cones down to Refresh Rate and Sync Rate of the Nvidia card and the screen(s)
- With nvidia-prime then there is no possibility of vsync yet - arghhhh
- With Nvidia's drivers for linux and"Optimus" cards they left out the simple code to do this to save resources for the masses - STUPID!!!!!
- I tried all the current drivers up to and including my working one Nvidia March 2015's 346.59 Driver working finally only after a clean install !!
- Some said Bumblebee would work to solve the tearing, and it DID NOT work for me. (as opposed to nvidia prime or Primus)
- enabling tripple buffering did not work either
- sudo gedit /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/main.js
And then change everywhere is says
Meta.enable_unredirect_for_screen(global.screen); And change that so it says
Meta.disable_unredirect_for_screen(global.screen);
DID NOT work
- (too tired to go on - I Hope this helps and will add more (edit) later with any new insight

Cheers, Mark :wink:
Last edited by ack0329 on Tue May 12, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sverkere
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SOLVED Re: Video Tearing Nvidia Optimus Hybrid cards

Post by sverkere »

That's great Mark!
Impressed you didn't give up and finally found a solution that works for you.

Sverker
ack0329
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ack0329 »

DaNG,the tearing is back but not as bad WOW, And I finally called Nvidia and they were patient but so far I know way more then them (Indian troubleshooter - Kind but quite ignorant. It has been escalated to a Nvidia Linux support team - perhaps that’s awesome they are now supporting us. And at least they recognize that it is completely a silly fault of Nvidia as i pointed out over and over it is simply a vsync issue that Intel and the Nouveaux have no problem with -but the supposedly awesome proprietary can't figure it out - WOW!!

Will keep this up to date.

And compiz and Mate and the Nvidia 349 driver are working (0on a good side - this new driver is giving me 4000 fps at least something good.

Cheers. Mark - any new ideas are so welcome (quite certain - it will be an xorg.conf solution or a different distro (and I am so sick of switching)
If anyone knows of an awesome distro that will work and is worth the learning curve to switch to and is good for gaming - please let me know,

ThaNKS AGAIN ( i CAN QUADRUPLE BOOT IF I HAVE TO - but no KDE please) exhausted and good night :evil:
sverkere
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sverkere »

Hi just a thought. Turn off your laptop screen and only run your
LED 55 inch monitor when gaming. Thats what I did for a buddy with Nvidia.
No tearing..
ack0329
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ack0329 »

For the record, (partially solved).

I had to go back to Mint Cinnamon as my beloved Compiz came with to many troubles on my complicated system. I have a fresh (again) reinstall and have installed the driver suggested for my card at nvidia's website (349.XX) with trepidation.

Apparently there is a good option other than the xorg-edgers PPA. The reasoning is the it only updates the specific driver, where as the "edgers" PPA updates a lot more of the nvidia "Stuff - like cuda, nvidia-settings xorg.conf ..." which Mint is not ready for. Making this apparently a whole lot safer, and so far (1 day) so good after a dozen upgrades and restarts.

w.r.t. the Tearing I am also just using the 55" screen with no change, but it does appear (in either screen or combo) to have less tearing. Too exhausted from this experience.

Nvidia has got back to me by email and I will reply, and post any good news when and if I find it.

Thanks for everyone’s concern and patience,

Cheers, Mark
p.s. any more ideas i will be happy to try out
nuttzo34
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nuttzo34 »

Try this

Open a CLI and do:

sudo nvidia-xconfig

Then:

sudo nvidia-settings

Set your screen resolution and refresh rate in the Xserver settings (I set mine to 1920x1200 @60hz) and save it to xorg.conf

Then do:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Edit the device section thusly:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce GTX 650"
Option "RegistryDwords" "PerfLevelSrc=0x2222"
Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
EndSection

This sets the card to performance mode and enables triple buffering.

In nvidia-settings/OpenGL set:

Sync to Vblank
Allow Flipping
Use Conformant Texture Clamping

Save your configuration and restart the X-server.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”