"The Daily Show" crashes my computer

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
spiraldancing
Level 2
Level 2

"The Daily Show" crashes my computer

Post by spiraldancing » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:25 pm

Watching through either FF or Chrome, directly on ComedyCentral. The show plays fine for 10-15 minutes, then the system locks up, replays the last 0.5 second audio 5-10 times, then I lose all audio, all video, all input capability, have to do a hard shut-down with the physical power button. On reboot, my system is fine (yeay Linux), browser even remembers previously open tabs.

I'm trying to binge-watch John Stewart's last month, and I'm forced to do it in 10-minute blocks.

Anyone have any idea what's causing this, and/or how to remedy?

ETA: (Sorry, forgot ... ) Linux Mint x64 17.1 Cinnamon

Laurent85
Level 15
Level 15

Re: "The Daily Show" crashes my computer

Post by Laurent85 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:27 pm

Can you open a terminal then post back command results

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

spiraldancing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spiraldancing » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:39 pm

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: gnosis Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   System: Dell product: Studio XPS 7100
           Mobo: Dell model: 0NWWY0 version: A00 Bios: Dell version: A06 date: 09/10/2010
CPU:       Hexa core AMD Phenom II X6 1075T (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 35909.3 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 3000.00 MHz 5: 800.00 MHz 6: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Juniper XT [Radeon HD 5770] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD JUNIPER GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network:   Card: Broadcom NetLink BCM57788 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 ver: 3.134 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (10.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST3250620NS size: 250.1GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST3500514NS size: 500.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 99G used: 71G (76%) fs: ext4 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.2C mobo: N/A gpu: 101.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 205 Uptime: 18:10 Memory: 1747.1/5969.1MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 

Laurent85
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Laurent85 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:08 pm

You might try to install fglrx driver for your graphic card available through Driver Manager.
Hope this helps.

spiraldancing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spiraldancing » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:28 pm

Laurent85, thanks. I'll give it a try tonight, and post back afterwards.

spiraldancing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spiraldancing » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:23 am

Okay, before it was just inconvenient. Now my machine is completely f***ed.

I switched over to the fglrx driver and watched 4-5 episodes of "The Daily Show". The AMD driver apparently can't handle two whole monitors at the same time, and there were a few minor stutters in the video stream, but basically, it worked.

But afterwards, I switched back to the original default/open-source driver that I was using originally because, if nothing else, it was capable of handling at least 100% more monitors than the AMD driver.

I rebooted, and my machine came online with a sticky message in the corner ... "Cinnamon is running in software rendering mode ... running without any hardware acceleration ... will see high CPU usage ... not recommended to use this mode" ... stuff like that. I only got a peek at it, because 30 seconds after logging in, my monitors went black ... and I had to do a hard reboot again.

This time, 15-20 seconds after the reboot, monitors went black again. My video card, or something, is overheating and shutting down from the strain. If I let the machine sit for an hour and cool off completely, I can fire it up and I have video for 2-3 minutes. That's the best I can get on my Linux machine. Now I'm stuck writing this post on an old Windows laptop. grr.

I did manage to get back into the Driver Manager, and it indicated that I was stuck in some new mode, and wouldn't let me select any driver at all, nor revert, nor anything else; all options were greyed out.

Now what? HELP.

ETA: I'm finding many old threads on the "software rendering mode" issue, many solutions involve switching drivers in the Driver Manager ... so I just wanted to emphasize that my Driver Manager has no active options available, at all. The "Continue using a manually installed driver" option is selected, and all other options (nouveau, fglrx, and fglrx-updates) are still listed, but greyed out.

JohnBobSmith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnBobSmith » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:36 am

You may wish to try the following LINK on Ask Ubuntu. Be very careful when running any command with root (sudo) permissions! Also, do not copy and paste blindly. Make sure, to the best of your ability, that the commands are doing what they should be. I take no responsibility if this hoses your system, but it shouldnt. Anyhow, lacking the presence of the driver on reboot, Xorg should fall back to an older driver, probably xserver-xorg-video-ati as thats what is listed in the driver manager (on my AMD system at least). From there you can change the driver, or leave it. Hopefully that will solve the heat issue, but if it doesnt you may need to clean your PC. A can of compressed air, a vacuum, and a small screwdriver to remove fans is all that's needed. Perhaps some thermal paste too if you want to take the heat sink off. But really, simply blowing the dust out then taking the vacuum to it should do the trick. Just dont suck up any cords or blow away any capacitors, :lol:

Hopefully this helps, let us know how it goes. :)
If you want to change the world, start by changing yourself.
Success is often 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.
You get one shot at life, so live to the maximum, not the minimum.

spiraldancing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spiraldancing » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Fecking hell. bad to worse.

JohnBobSmith, I didn't get to your suggestion. I found this from AMD, which sounded good ... but I didn't even get to that.

While rebooting, I stepped into recovery mode, and in there, I started the "repair broken packages" process. I continued to let it run long after my monitor went black, so I don't know if it completed, but I gave it a solid 15-20 minutes. Then tried the "Magic SysRq" - BUSIER key combination to shut down. That didn't work (it had worked previously in the GUI desktop after my monitor went dead) ... so I was forced to do a hard shut-down, again.

Now, booting up, I can still get to the initial GRUB loader page, but from there, I cannot even get into recovery mode, let alone Linux Mint GUI ... I get "Gave up waiting for root device ... warning /dev/disk/by-uuid/... does not exist ... Dropping to a shell! ... Busybox ... (initramfs) ... and I never even get to a command line, just a flashing prompt that (apparently) never finishes loading into ram ... or at least never finishes before my monitor goes black.

I DO NOT HAVE A CURRENT BACK-UP OF MY DATA. Never occurred to me that switching between video drivers would lead to a full system meltdown. W T F do I do now?!!?

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”