SOLVED no sound in YouTube and other browser Flash content

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4

SOLVED no sound in YouTube and other browser Flash content

Post by fraxinus_63 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:08 pm

I am running Mint 13 64-bit MATE. All aspects of sound playback from Audacity, Clementine and VLC seem to be fine but I cannot get any sound from YouTube videos on any browser. I have done a fair bit of online research but feel I'm getting nowhere.

I'm sorry but can anyone please help me debug this? My main browser is Firefox 40 but I have the problem in Chromium and Opera too.

I wonder if I have the correct Flash plugins installed. When I look in Synaptic, I see adobe-flashplugin and mint-flashplugin-11 are both installed, and the latest versions too. Can anyone suggest anything that might be missing? Other browser sound (e.g. from BBC iPlayer) seems to work normally.

Thanks in anticipation.
Last edited by fraxinus_63 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4

Re: no sound in YouTube and other browser Flash content

Post by fraxinus_63 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:32 pm

Solved my own problem. I went to Control Centre > Sounds and checked my output settings - changed them to "built-in analogue stereo" from another analogue codec that was selected, and now all seems well.

I still don't know how it happened as it's been months since I last adjusted my sounds settings knowingly. Only c. 10 days ago sound with Flash was working fine!

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”