KXStudio in Mint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Veerstryngh Thynner

KXStudio in Mint

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Hello all,

First of all, I'm not sure I picked the right forum for the questions I'd like to ask. But maybe my gamble turns out all right...

For some considerable time, I have been attempting to get my head around the intricacies of KXStudio/NON. KXStudio consists of a series of integrated components for importing and playing sfz musical instrument sample and music production generally. NON is integrated in KXStudio and consists of a series of components that can be used independently for the same purpose. But I'm not sure yet which will serve me better.

What I want to do:

- Playing/recording selected sfz items imported from a proprietary musical instrument sample library on an auxiliary (Windows 7) laptop.
- Using an electric guitar instrument (or rather electric-guitar-like, since not in standard guitar tuning) by way of MIDI controller.

Does anyone on this forum have any experience in this this department? If yes I'd like to hear from you!

My equipment

- Lenovo desktop;
- KDE Mint;
- All KXStudio components installed;
- All NON components installed;
- Behringer Guitar Link UCG102 interface
- electric string instrument (without A/D converter integrated).

NB: I just found out that the choice in hardware to the latter end is a) limited and b) exorbitantly expensive (Roland MIDI pickup + gearbox or Fishman Triple X interface), so I thought that having another look at KXStudio/NON may be worthwhile.

Furthermore, in KXStudio, WineASIO is also integrated. The latter allows Windows software to run in Linux (including Mint, I hope). And since Linux is great, generally, but not in voice changers, I'm toying with the idea of importing the one on my auxiliary Windows 7 laptop (which, incidentally, I never have been able to make work) to WineASIO in KXStudio. I can't find anything much, though, on the practicalities of this, online, so perhaps this community may be able to offer some advice.

Thanks very much.

Veerstryngh Thynner
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: KXStudio in Mint

Post by MartyMint »

Ever consider using a USB mixer?
Veerstryngh Thynner

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Thanks very much for your reply, MartyMint. And you're referring to part of my question that alluded to KXStudio/Non, I suppose.

As a matter of fact - yes, I have been thinking of a USB mixer, too, since you're asking. But in order to turn my electric string instrument into a MIDI controller (so as to be able to play/record selected sfz items imported from my musical instrument sample library). I'd actually need some kind of Analogue-To-MIDI converter. And I'm not sure that USB mixers with integrated Analogue-To-MIDI converter are available.

Or are they....?

Veerstryngh Thynner
obicere

Post by obicere »

I'm using MIDI Guitar 2 by https://www.jamorigin.com/ on Windows, this is very successful. Far better tracking than any of my Roland gear, even with one of these, http://www.iguitar.com/. I'm just getting to the point where I'm about to try this out on Linux. I'm expecting more latency (at the moment I'm getting about 5ms). There is a demo of the first version.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

WIne is actually rubbish, as is playonlinux and other Wine derivatives. Pro music software in Linux is a bit of a joke. Just check out linuxmusicians.org if you don't believe me. If you have a WIndows 7 machine I'd suggest using that.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
obicere

Post by obicere »

You here to live up to your name?

Return to “Sound”