No sound through the headphones

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
juliaquest

No sound through the headphones

Post by juliaquest »

Dear all,

I'm using a Lenovo laptop (ThinkPad E555) with Linux Mint 17.2 on it. The problem is, I don't have any sound through my headphones. It used to be the same problem when I was running 17.1, now I have tried kernels 3.16, 3.19, 4.x, but the problem remains. While surfing on the web, I found some hints concerning the Auto-Mute option in the Alsamixer. However, my Alsamixer doesn't have this option at all (doesn't matter which sound card I select). I installed pavucontrol, but under the tab "analogue audio output" I only have the speakers, not the headphones. Can anyone help me please?

P.S. I also tried Ubuntu in the demo modus, but I experienced the same problem with the headphones.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: No sound through the headphones

Post by Pierre »

is the headphone USB based,
or does it plug into a socket - where the speakers are.

did you test it with the live environment, first?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
juliaquest

Post by juliaquest »

I plug the headphone into a normal 3.5 mm jack. I already tried different headphones (2 or 3 of them), but all were 3.5 mm.
did you test it with the live environment, first?.
Do you mean with the live environment of Linux Mint or what? If so, no, I directly installed Linux Mint on my new laptop and didn't try it in the live environment. If your question concerns Ubuntu, I tested it only in the live environment, just to see, if it is a general problem or not. I don't have Windows (bought the laptop with DOS only), so I cannot say, if the problem remains under Windows, too.
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bbaker6212 »

Some people reported an issue with no audio, but it was not specific to headphones. The workaround fix was turning the volume of one channel down to zero. I don't remember if it was the left or right channel. You'll have to search the forum to find the details. I think it was a Lenovo notebook.
Linux Mint XFCE 21.1 , Windows 11, Pop!_OS 22.04 Acer Aspire 5 A515-57 (linux-probe), Core i5-1235U, 16GB RAM
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB (linux-probe), Core i5-8250U, 20GB RAM
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Worth a try: check for a newer BIOS / UEFI on the support section of the Lenovo website and when available, install it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
sanric
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sanric »

The very same thing is happening to me on my ASUS P550L notebook with Intel audio board. After having issued the command

Code: Select all

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec 
It returns:

Code: Select all

Codec: Realtek ALC3236
Everything on the audio side seems to work well except for the fact that, when I put headphones on the analog socket, audio is not routed to them as if nothing had been done.
Tried several configurations, even uninstalling PulseAudio and Jack daemon, which created a lot of mess and leaving only ALSA mixer.
What can I do?
Best regards
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bbaker6212 »

Try this... http://askubuntu.com/questions/652610/1 ... sound?rq=1

similar reference here... https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=200946

Opened /etc/default/grub in a text editor
In the string value for the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" key, I added the key-value pair: "acpi_osi=Windows"
Saved the file
Ran: update-grub

So this is the line before I modified it:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

...and after:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Windows"
Linux Mint XFCE 21.1 , Windows 11, Pop!_OS 22.04 Acer Aspire 5 A515-57 (linux-probe), Core i5-1235U, 16GB RAM
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB (linux-probe), Core i5-8250U, 20GB RAM
juliaquest

Post by juliaquest »

(In case somebody is still interested in this topic)
I found a solution for my problem here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/585709/h ... 463#598463
prakashemp

Post by prakashemp »

headphones working fine after installing pavucontrol in linux mint 18.3 cinnamon 64 bit

Return to “Sound”