Firefox & HTML5 problem / delayed response

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
titanbird

Firefox & HTML5 problem / delayed response

Post by titanbird »

He guys.

Using Mint 17.2.
System is up to date.

Video is okay in fullscreen for:
Multimedia files (VLC Media Player & Co.): OK
Chromium Flash: OK
Chromium HTML5: OK
Firefox Flash: OK

I love firefox. But if I watch a video with firefox in fullscreen mode (HTML5), so there is a bad performance. It's stuckling a lil' bit (makes less fun to watch it) and if I press ESC to stop fullscreen mode, i have to wait 4-7 seconds until i come back to normal mode.

As we can see, it's only a firefox & html5 problem.

How can I fix this?

Greetings
Titan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
helloimustbegoing

Re: Firefox & HTML5 problem / delayed response

Post by helloimustbegoing »

Does this happen on any website with HTML5, or only one (YouTube)? Do you use any add-ons that affect video/YouTube? Please list what add-ons, if any, you use.

Off the bat, I'd say create a new user profile and see if you have the same issue.

Post by 1.618 »

I know google are focring html5 on youtube users with FF above v33, the easy way to stop it is to adjust your useragent to tell the site you are on version 32 or lower

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3#p1087017

This seems to be becoming a common issue, perhaps mods could merge all the threads or create a sticky?
titanbird

Post by titanbird »

Does this happen on any website with HTML5, or only one (YouTube)?
Any website, only html5 video.
Do you use any add-ons that affect video/YouTube? Please list what add-ons, if any, you use.
No plugins affecting video. But, lets see:

Extensions:
  • Firebug
  • AdBlock
  • FF Sync activated
  • and FireGestures
Plugins (default?):
  • OpenH264
  • Shockwave Flash
  • DivX Web Player
  • IcedTea-Web Plugin
  • QuickTIme Plug-in 7.6.6
  • VLC Media Player Plugin
  • Windows Media Player Plug-in 10
I also tried to deactivate "Use hardware acceleration" in FF options. Doesn't work, so reverted.
Off the bat, I'd say create a new user profile and see if you have the same issue.
I created a new one. Signed out, signed in as John Doe, then. The problem is still there. :-(

Thanks for the tip switching the user agent back, but this would be a shame.

P.S: I got an ATI Radeon r9 290x graphics card. The default drivers didn't work for me after the installation of Linux Mint (Menu -> Proprietary drivers -> There 'xserver-org-video-ati' was selected but didn't work...). there was "software rendering mode".
So I downloaded the "Linux drivers" of the Catalyst there:
http://support.amd.com/de-de/download/d ... nux+x86_64
Installation without any error and the graphics does appear to work (no message "currently in software rendering mode").

Post by 1.618 »

You could always try a previous version of firefox by forcing it through synaptic, that might eliminate wether the problem is on your system or if it's specific to that release of FF.

Have you tried without 'hardware acceleration' in FF, that can cause issues sometimes

I have the fglrx opensource drivers for my ATI/AMD with the amd catalyst controlcentre through synaptic,with no issues, although admittedly I have different graphics to yours [Radeon HD 7480D]
titanbird

Post by titanbird »

Code: Select all

Have you tried without 'hardware acceleration' in FF, that can cause issues sometimes
Yes, I did. But no change...
I have the fglrx opensource drivers for my ATI/AMD with the amd catalyst controlcentre through synaptic,with no issues, although admittedly I have different graphics to yours [Radeon HD 7480D]
A few days ago, I tried the free drivers too trough the proprietary drivers dialog. fglrx-amdcccle or fglrx-amdcccle-updates. But as i can remember, i had some problems with black screens so i used the other one from amd.com.
Do you think this is a problem caused by the graphics card? Unbeliebable, because it's only a problem with html5 on FF. FF & Flash = OK, so this seams not to be a problem with the drivers? But i dunno

Post by 1.618 »

titanbird wrote: Do you think this is a problem caused by the graphics card? Unbeliebable, because it's only a problem with html5 on FF. FF & Flash = OK, so this seams not to be a problem with the drivers? But i dunno
Sounds like FF is the problem but you mentioned the drivers in your post so i was just responding to that, sorry, didn't mean to give the wrong impression.

Did you try chaning your useragent? this will stop websites forcing html5 on you, if FF worked fine before then hopefully it should be ok. this is what I have done and everything is working fine

You have the option to roll back to a previous version and then wait for Mozilla to release the next version of FF, that's what i've done till this issue is fixed, I had other problems with that release of FF too, sadly

You could try palemoon, it's a fork of FF but is more stable and seems to be gaining popularity of recent
titanbird

Post by titanbird »

sorry, didn't mean to give the wrong impression
no problem :D
You could try palemoon
i will give it a try!
Did you try chaning your useragent?
not yet. it will help where html5 is used and flash is available as a fallback, right?
for pages that only support html5 video, this will not work, right?
but it would make it a lil' better overall, yes.

further more, i could retry the opensource drivers.
uninstall catalyst downloaded from amd.com and installing fxlrx.
titanbird

Post by titanbird »

FYI: In Chromium-Webbrowser: No Problems!
This means: Firefox problem! :-(

Post by 1.618 »

titanbird wrote:FYI: In Chromium-Webbrowser: No Problems!
This means: Firefox problem! :-(
Probably best to re-install Firefox, I would do a complete purge using

sudo apt-get purge firefox

and

sudo apt-get purge firefox-locale-en (or whatever language pack you use)

then run

sudo find / -iname firefox

and remove the files/folders from the locations listed, also delete the firefox packages in var/cache/apt - this will force your system to download fresh packages rather than just re-install the exact same package, if it's the packages itself that's corrupted somehow you will just get the same problem otherwise. Also might be worth trying to install from a different mirror, you can select your mirrors in synaptic > settings > repositories > then click on the mirror and you should see a list appear

If after a re-install you still have the same problem then it's most likely the actual version of firefox, in which case you might want to force install a previous version - repeat the above commands and then in synaptic tick the box for firefox and under package >force version > select from options then install as normal
titanbird

Post by titanbird »

Nice tips! Thank you. This sounds good, especially the thing with an older version of firefox. I will give that a try this evening.
titanbird

Post by titanbird »

OK. Interesting!
I did a "clean" reinstall of firefox. No change with HTML5 fullscreen.
I did a "clean" install of an old firefox. Firefox 28. It's from 2014-03-17. Fullscreen works!

But it's a lil' bit too old. The GUI appears quite old and some features are not included.

I will append a screenshot for you. There you can see the options for older version in the software manager.

As we can see, i only have the option between FIREFOX 42 (newest one)
and an quite old firefox version 28. Just 2 options.

I think i will agree with the fact that i have to use the newer one (ver 42) and everytime i want to watch a video (html5 fullscreen) i will put that url to chrome to watch it there without problems.

Conclusion: The newst firefox got problems with specific graphic cards? So maybe the next version will fix this?

Thanks again for you help. You had a solution for this even if I will use FF 42 in future anyway.

Return to “Sound”