What's a good Firefox or Chrome plugin to download a video?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
commandrix

What's a good Firefox or Chrome plugin to download a video?

Post by commandrix »

Long story short, I have a recorded Google Hangout on Air video that I'm trying to shove over to Youtube and Youtube is being uncooperative. Is there something I could use to download this video off of the Google Hangouts event page so I can do a little light editing? The file exists and I can actually watch the video on the Google Hangouts page; it's just that Youtube is being stubborn and those third party video downloaders won't work. If somebody knows a plugin or a Terminal command I could use (I tried wget and it gave me everything but the video), that would be great.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Re: What's a good Firefox or Chrome plugin to download a vid

Post by 1.618 »

Your video is here - the Google+ page has links to youtube as hangouts are automatically put on youtube as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEfm3g8zu_Q

To download from youtube i usually use

Easy Youtube Video Downloader - can be found via Tools>Add ons>get add ons
http://www.yourvideofile.org/
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Is there something I could use to download this video off of the Google Hangouts event page so I can do a little light editing?
My downloader(*) showed some bogus downloads from Hangouts (all 600KB, not big enough for a 14 minute video), but as mentioned the youtube linked worked fine.

(*) I'm not even sure if it's "Flash and Video Download" or "Video DownloadHelper" - the icon is a dark square with a light down-arrow in it...the first one, probably (mouseover popup says "Download Flash and Video").

"youtube-dl" also works well. It's stand-alone, not a browser add-on.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You can also download youtube videos with vlc
Open vlc and open Media > Open Capture Device > Network tab
paste in the youtube link
At the bottom change Play to Convert
enter your destination path and file name + .mp4
- Example: /home/user/Music/RollingStones/Angie.mp4
Press start, and wait for the video to finish loading.
---
to save the audio only, choose ogg or audio mp4
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I use the DownThemAll browser extension, or one of a couple of command line programs, youtube-dl and get_flash_videos.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
rickfm

Post by rickfm »

Only one I've ever used for Firefox is Video DownloadHelper. Have never felt a reason to try anything else.

And while I'm here, I'll recommend another useful plugin for Firefox, Turn Off the Lights. Not for saving vids, but it darkens the screen area outside of the video for better viewing... IMHO, at least. Doesn't work for all sites, but does for Youtube.
logoi

Post by logoi »

try - Net Video Hunter - it's fantastic. but never ever click on anything on the right side of the window. Except the options button or you'll get whammed with commercial junk. It's in Firefox add ons. Net Video Player is always ' on " and catches everything that comes across your browser. has buttons on left side to "play " or download video. options button on bottom right
net.jpeg

Return to “Sound”