Video playback stutters / is jumpy (SOLVED)

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
chrisonmint
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Video playback stutters / is jumpy

Post by chrisonmint » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:41 am

amethyst_igor wrote:
That works OK on my Celeron for some video files, but not all. The poor little Smelleron just doesn't have the horsepower. There are three optimal flavors: xv, Intel Sprite, and Intel Textured, with the latter ones looking better and requiring more cpu. The reason textured causes stuttering is because the cpu has to work more to achieve that textured look. I dropped back to xv for the Smelleron, because it coughed and wheezed on some 1080p files. With your i5 (I think it is?) you should be fine, but if not you can unleash the power of vaapi.
The #0 Intel Textured does seem to give better quality video - problems with Sprite its only noticeable in low-light situations where there isnt much contrast in the image. you see lots of blocky encoding artefacts around the edges. Intel Sprite is much smoother though, and that is more comfortable to watch.

It would be great to get the better quality and keep the smoothness, however. The laptop is an i5 with 4GB RAM and in all other aspects is very quick.

do you have any suggestions of what i should try to get vaapi working?

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:22 am

chrisonmint wrote:
amethyst_igor wrote:
That works OK on my Celeron for some video files, but not all. The poor little Smelleron just doesn't have the horsepower. There are three optimal flavors: xv, Intel Sprite, and Intel Textured, with the latter ones looking better and requiring more cpu. The reason textured causes stuttering is because the cpu has to work more to achieve that textured look. I dropped back to xv for the Smelleron, because it coughed and wheezed on some 1080p files. With your i5 (I think it is?) you should be fine, but if not you can unleash the power of vaapi.
The #0 Intel Textured does seem to give better quality video - problems with Sprite its only noticeable in low-light situations where there isnt much contrast in the image. you see lots of blocky encoding artefacts around the edges. Intel Sprite is much smoother though, and that is more comfortable to watch.

It would be great to get the better quality and keep the smoothness, however. The laptop is an i5 with 4GB RAM and in all other aspects is very quick.

do you have any suggestions of what i should try to get vaapi working?
Well, yeah, what I said earlier about installing VDPAU. It's weird, I know, but vaapi seems to play ball with vdpau, even though vdpau is technically NVIDIA. I don't really understand it and am not sure I want to, but the bottom line is, I can select vaapi in SMPlayer and it seems to work fine. So you install vaapi and vdpau via Software Manager. I also recommend using Smplayer + MPV, because MPV renders files faster than Mplayer and is the more innovative branch. You can read all about MPV on Wikipedia. Mplayer's rate of release is glacial or perhaps has stopped altogether, one of the two, whereas MPV is being actively developed all the time. In fact, you can install PPA's for MPV and Smplayer, if you elect to trust them, and you will observe that there are frequent updates, at the rate of once every two weeks. One should be cautious installing PPA's, because that is the most likely vector for malware or bugs. But some of us take chances.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

chrisonmint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chrisonmint » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:09 pm

amethyst_igor wrote:
Well, yeah, what I said earlier about installing VDPAU. It's weird, I know, but vaapi seems to play ball with vdpau, even though vdpau is technically NVIDIA. I don't really understand it and am not sure I want to, but the bottom line is, I can select vaapi in SMPlayer and it seems to work fine. So you install vaapi and vdpau via Software Manager. I also recommend using Smplayer + MPV, because MPV renders files faster than Mplayer and is the more innovative branch. You can read all about MPV on Wikipedia. Mplayer's rate of release is glacial or perhaps has stopped altogether, one of the two, whereas MPV is being actively developed all the time. In fact, you can install PPA's for MPV and Smplayer, if you elect to trust them, and you will observe that there are frequent updates, at the rate of once every two weeks. One should be cautious installing PPA's, because that is the most likely vector for malware or bugs. But some of us take chances.
Ok, so i have smplayer, vaapi and vdpau all installed from the software centre. smplayer is version 0.8.6, using mplayer 1.1

SMPlayer's PPA (ppa:rvm/smplayer) reports that they dont support trusty, so that is not possible.

I have mpv installed, but setting that to be the video engine in smplayer results in errors (i assume the commandline arguments are different and my version of smplayer doesnt "speak" mpv...)

I tried a re-installation of libvdpau1, vdpau-va-driver, libgstreamer-vaapi, gstreamer1.0-vaapi, libva-intel-vaapi-driver, i965-va-driver, mplayer and smplayer and just to make sure, but no joy (and the same error message)

Code: Select all

$ mpv --hwdec=vaapi ___.mv4
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_i965.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_35
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:45 pm

chrisonmint wrote:
amethyst_igor wrote:
Ok, so i have smplayer, vaapi and vdpau all installed from the software centre. smplayer is version 0.8.6, using mplayer 1.1

SMPlayer's PPA (ppa:rvm/smplayer) reports that they dont support trusty, so that is not possible.

I have mpv installed, but setting that to be the video engine in smplayer results in errors (i assume the commandline arguments are different and my version of smplayer doesnt "speak" mpv...)

I tried a re-installation of libvdpau1, vdpau-va-driver, libgstreamer-vaapi, gstreamer1.0-vaapi, libva-intel-vaapi-driver, i965-va-driver, mplayer and smplayer and just to make sure, but no joy (and the same error message)

Code: Select all

$ mpv --hwdec=vaapi ___.mv4
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_i965.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_35
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
No, 0.8.6 is not the version of Smplayer I use. I use version 16.4.0. I do not use mplayer 1.1. It is old, and you should delete it. I instead have configured Smplayer to use mpv git-3353923 (C) 2000-2016 mpv/MPlayer/mplayer2 projects, built on Sun Mar 20 13:52:21 UTC 2016. Review again my blog post revealing my configuration of Smplayer, and you will see I have added a screenshot of Software Sources. These PPAs are helpful in Linux Mint 17.3, which offers software that is long in the tooth now, especially for an actively developed application such as Smplayer or MPV. Perhaps the next version, LM 18, will co-opt the latest MPV and SMplayer so that I don't feel the need to bother with PPAs, but perhaps not. I do not think that many distro developers are aware that MPV + Smplayer have superior performance and options as compared to other video players, or perhaps they know but just want to satisfy the expectations of their userbase rather than spring a novelty upon them. They have other considerations as well; Smplayer is more of a Windows thing and doesn't have the same ties to the Linux community as other players. At any rate, whenever I install any Linux distro, I rip out all of its video players and replace them with this. It just works better than all the others.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

chrisonmint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chrisonmint » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:35 am

amethyst_igor wrote:
No, 0.8.6 is not the version of Smplayer I use. I use version 16.4.0. I do not use mplayer 1.1. It is old, and you should delete it. I instead have configured Smplayer to use mpv git-3353923 (C) 2000-2016 mpv/MPlayer/mplayer2 projects, built on Sun Mar 20 13:52:21 UTC 2016. Review again my blog post revealing my configuration of Smplayer, and you will see I have added a screenshot of Software Sources. These PPAs are helpful in Linux Mint 17.3, which offers software that is long in the tooth now, especially for an actively developed application such as Smplayer or MPV. Perhaps the next version, LM 18, will co-opt the latest MPV and SMplayer so that I don't feel the need to bother with PPAs, but perhaps not. I do not think that many distro developers are aware that MPV + Smplayer have superior performance and options as compared to other video players, or perhaps they know but just want to satisfy the expectations of their userbase rather than spring a novelty upon them. They have other considerations as well; Smplayer is more of a Windows thing and doesn't have the same ties to the Linux community as other players. At any rate, whenever I install any Linux distro, I rip out all of its video players and replace them with this. It just works better than all the others.
Ah, now i get it - I got distracted while working through your blog screenshots and must have missed the last one. Yes, this really helped. Two PPA's installed, one for MPV and one for SMplayer:

add ppa:rvm/smplayer
install smplayer
add ppa:mc3man/mpv-tests
install mpv

Video is as smooth as before, but does look much better. Thanks amethyst_igor!

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:32 am

chrisonmint wrote:
amethyst_igor wrote:
Ah, now i get it - I got distracted while working through your blog screenshots and must have missed the last one. Yes, this really helped. Two PPA's installed, one for MPV and one for SMplayer:

add ppa:rvm/smplayer
install smplayer
add ppa:mc3man/mpv-tests
install mpv

Video is as smooth as before, but does look much better. Thanks amethyst_igor!
Well, the newer versions have that support for vaapi that I talked about earlier, in addition to the usual fixing of bugs and improved features and so on. I did not initially recommend you install PPAs, because 1. That is not safe practice in general, and 2. It is an extra step and 3. I couldn't remember whether the old versions of Smplayer and MPV in Linux Mint's default repo supported vaapi or not.

Hopefully, you have now switched from mplayer to mpv and configured your player as shown in the blog screenshots. The main reason to use MPV is it supports vaapi, whereas mplayer does not. So you get to tap into the hardware decoding capability of the Intel cpu chip, if you use mpv. Some people don't pay any attention to any of this, because they have an i7 or whatever and can blow away any video file without bothering to configure anything, but they are wasting electricity and their multitasking will be slower. Now, Smplayer + MPV is all anyone needs for video. I still use VLC for audio files though, because I like to configure different features for audio, and there's no performance issue with audio at all.

chrisonmint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chrisonmint » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:04 pm

amethyst_igor wrote: Well, the newer versions have that support for vaapi that I talked about earlier, in addition to the usual fixing of bugs and improved features and so on. I did not initially recommend you install PPAs, because 1. That is not safe practice in general, and 2. It is an extra step and 3. I couldn't remember whether the old versions of Smplayer and MPV in Linux Mint's default repo supported vaapi or not.

Hopefully, you have now switched from mplayer to mpv and configured your player as shown in the blog screenshots. The main reason to use MPV is it supports vaapi, whereas mplayer does not. So you get to tap into the hardware decoding capability of the Intel cpu chip, if you use mpv. Some people don't pay any attention to any of this, because they have an i7 or whatever and can blow away any video file without bothering to configure anything, but they are wasting electricity and their multitasking will be slower. Now, Smplayer + MPV is all anyone needs for video. I still use VLC for audio files though, because I like to configure different features for audio, and there's no performance issue with audio at all.
I have PPAs set up for the things that I "need" up-to-date versions - handbrake, VLC and now Smplayer and MPV. I agree that using PPAs comes with a security and stability risk, but I am happy to set up a few for the specific elements which are important. Since 17.0 (ie 17.1 to 17.3) LM itself updated other key packages (eg libreoffice, cinnamon of course, MATE etc) and that is the whole point of LM using the LTS 14.04 base of Ubuntu - Clem and the team can focus on the high level aspects and the polish of the user experience. :D

It has taken *ages* to set up my laptop (which is a shared machine, logins for the kids and other family members etc). I dont want to start from scratch with LM18 any time soon. Now everything is running smoothly, I have even less reason to be tempted with the new LM release! (sorry clem!)

I completely agree that we should be using hardware acceleration for video. it makes such a huge difference (not just on linux, but android too) that it is well worth taking the time to play around and get it working.

thanks again!

chrisonmint
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Video playback stutters / is jumpy (SOLVED)

Post by chrisonmint » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:50 pm

A quick update on this thread. Video playback was really smooth when using the "xv (1 - Intel(R) Video Sprite)" output option, but I found that it crashed Cinnamon after a system sleep/wake. The video window was floating on a slightly blue background, and it showed OVER the cinnamon screensaver password prompt. Trying to close SMPlayer caused Cinnamon to freeze, requiring a Ctrl-Alt-Del to kill the session. I could hit the terminal for a "killall smplayer" and then restart Cinnamon with a Crtl-Alt-Esc.

The solution is to switch to vaapi as the output. No crashes there...

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”