youtube-dl help

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ckonn
Level 3
Level 3

youtube-dl help

Post by ckonn »

Hello!

sometimes I download clips from youtube using the command "youtube-dl http://........... from the terminal. it works great, but I want to know, is there some more specific bash command, that will make the downloader to download the clip in a directory, which I want? can I point some directory in the bash command by using some path, or something like this? how such bash command would look like?

thank you in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: YouTube-dl help

Post by Flemur »

Code: Select all

man youtube-dl
-o, --output TEMPLATE
Can also be used to download to a different directory, for example with
-o '/my/downloads/%(uploader)s/%(title)s-%(id)s.%(ext)s' .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I just use the cd (Change Directory) command to navigate to wherever I want to save the file, then run youtube-dl. There's another program called get_flash_videos that sometimes works on sites where youtube-dl doesn't.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Or you could just navigate to the folder you want to dl to with your file manager and right click on an open space in the window. There should be an "open terminal here" command in the drop down menu. Exactly what it says depends on your DE version but there should be something similar.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

There is a Gui available for you tube-dl. I think I downloaded it from removed
wong

Post by wong »

youtube-dl -o /path/to/folder
short for:

youtube-dl --output /path/to/folder
You could use ~/.bashrc to keep it consistent by adding 'youtube-dl --o /path/to/directory' as an alias for youtube-dl. I think it simpler to create a youtube-dl config file. Just create /home/me/.config/youtube-dl.conf containing the one liner "--output /path/to/directory/"
Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Quexos »

Or the Firefox addon "Video DownloadHelper". Some youtube videos fail with it though. Another method that worked for me where Video DownloadHelper failed is to use KeepVid.com. I make a bookmark to it with the following in the location field:

javascript:(function(){window.open('http://keepvid.com/?url='+encodeURIComp ... tion.href)+'')})();

Then just click that bookmark while viewing the video.

Return to “Sound”