Reverse Stereo?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kde35

Reverse Stereo?

Post by kde35 »

I am trying to swap the left and right side of the stereo output under Linux Mint 13 Maya. I followed this. But when I created .asoundrc with the content

Code: Select all

pcm.swapped {
    type         route
    slave.pcm    "cards.pcm.default"
    ttable.0.1   1
    ttable.1.0   1
}

pcm.default      pcm.swapped

and rebooted, just in case, as I haven't found out how to restart alsa, it has no effect. When I did

pactl load-module module-remap-sink \
    sink_name=reverse-stereo \
    master=0 \
    channels=2 \
    master_channel_map=front-right,front-left \
    channel_map=front-left,front-right
then a new sink get created, but when I chose new sink as output, there was no sound. I also tried to add

load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=reverse-stereo master=alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo  channels=2 mast
er_channel_map=front-right,front-left channel_map=front-left,front-right
or

load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=reverse-stereo master=0 channels=2 master_channel_map=front-right,front-left chan
nel_map=front-left,front-right
but in either case, output to the reverse-stereo sink produced no sound. Would there be any other way to swap the right and left
stereo sound output?

inxi -Fxz | grep Audio gives

inxi -Fxz| grep Audio
Audio:     Card-1: Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Turks/Whistler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6000 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
kde35

Re: Reverse Stereo?

Post by kde35 »

I also tried editing /etc/pulse/daemon.conf changing the line

; default-channel-map = front-left,front-right
to

default-sample-channels = 2
default-channel-map = front-right,front-left
as is suggested here, but this changes nothing.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Can you switch the wires instead? That might be the easy way to do it, but it might also be the best way to do it.
kde35

Post by kde35 »

Rocky Bennett wrote:Can you switch the wires instead? That might be the easy way to do it, but it might also be the best way to do it.
Well, I would need some extension cables, certainly they wouldn't ruin me, but somehow I feel that there should be a soft-ware solution for this kind of
problem.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I think that switching the wires is the "right" way to do it, from a purely sonic and simplistic perspective.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Rocky Bennett +1

Keep it as simple as possible. Otherwise you run the risk of seriously messing up the sound in your Linux.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
maddog55
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maddog55 »

One small issue. My PC is set up for multi-boot and every other OS except Linux has the channels oriented correctly. Since I installed Mint 20.2, the audio channels are reversed only in Mint????
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

maddog55 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:07 pm One small issue. My PC is set up for multi-boot and every other OS except Linux has the channels oriented correctly. Since I installed Mint 20.2, the audio channels are reversed only in Mint????
Hello! This topic is literally years old, much too old to be revived. Please start a new topic. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Sound”