Playback of local videos is 'choppy'

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
1952dude

Playback of local videos is 'choppy'

Post by 1952dude »

I think Linux Mint is about as good as it gets, for an average computer user, but videos (movies and other videos) are a bit choppy on playback. I have a large monitor and, the other night, my wife and were going to watch a movie on my computer. I have a dual-boot setup and I had to boot into XP, as the choppiness was driving us crazy - it's not extreme, but, it's bad enough to be really annoying. I am using Mint 17.2 64-bit on an older PC - an HP dc5500 with 4 gig of RAM. I decided to test some other distros to see if they were the same - neither Fedora nor Ubuntu-Gnome has this sort of problem on the same PC. I have some conky widgets running on the desktop (which I did not have on Fedora nor Ubuntu Gnome), but, killing Conky doesn't help..... There are a lot of posts about this, around the web - various people have various ideas, none of which worked for me. One guy said to install the XFCE desktop (or something like that) and log in and log out of the thing to watch videos. First, I don't even know how to do that and, second, it would be great if this problem was simply resolved (on the Cinnamon desktop). This seems like a pretty serious deficiency - does anyone here experience the same thing? And does anyone know why this fundamental problem (for some of us, at least) is happening? Otherwise, Mint with the Cinnamon desktop rungs great.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Playback of local videos is 'choppy'

Post by Hoser Rob »

You don't say which fedora or ubuntu releases you tried so it's hard to compare. And there's not nearly enough system info there. Copy/paste this into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
and post the text output here.

And simply installing Xfce on an existing Linux installation is a very good way to break things. Especially if you already have Cinnamon. Installing multiple desktops is at or near the top of my list of bad Linux noob advice.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Playback on Linux Mint 18 is worse. I had good playback off all videos with Linux Mint 17. I made a clean upgrade to Linux Mint 18 with a fresh install. Installed the optional multimedia stuff. Applied all updates. Now all videos have major stop/starts starting about 20 seconds into a video.
* Both video and sound stop/start.
* Both Xplayer and VLC are exactly the same so it is not the player.
* It is not memory, there are gigabytes of memory unused.
* It is not CPU, the CPU sits under 50%.
* It is more than local videos. Streaming full screen video has the same problem.

Playback was good a while ago. Just before the upgrade to 18, I updated to 17.2 but did not test with long videos.

There are several online pages complaining about Linux Mint 17.2. The advice is to switch from VLC to something else or from something else to VLC. The change works for some people and fails for others. None of the suggestions worked for me. The videos fail at almost exactly the same point with all the software.

There must be a change in 18 or 17.2.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Petermint wrote:Playback on Linux Mint 18 is worse. I had good playback off all videos with Linux Mint 17. I made a clean upgrade to Linux Mint 18 with a fresh install. Installed the optional multimedia stuff. Applied all updates. Now all videos have major stop/starts starting about 20 seconds into a video.
* Both video and sound stop/start.
* Both Xplayer and VLC are exactly the same so it is not the player.
* It is not memory, there are gigabytes of memory unused.
* It is not CPU, the CPU sits under 50%.
* It is more than local videos. Streaming full screen video has the same problem.

Playback was good a while ago. Just before the upgrade to 18, I updated to 17.2 but did not test with long videos.

There are several online pages complaining about Linux Mint 17.2. The advice is to switch from VLC to something else or from something else to VLC. The change works for some people and fails for others. None of the suggestions worked for me. The videos fail at almost exactly the same point with all the software.

There must be a change in 18 or 17.2.
Just because you have a problem doesn't mean that others will ... and since you don't even say what graphics card you have I assume you don't really know enough to make any blanket statements.

My laptop with Intel Ironlake series graphics worked great on 17.0, terribly on 17.1 and 17.2, and great on 17.3. That's just one example.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

@Hoser Rob
My comparison is between Linux Mint 18 and Linux Mint 17 using the same hardware and video, a video from 2014. The video on LM18 is different. VLC is completely different. Something changed just enough to make the video choppy on my computer.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Some more testing.
* The video worked from 2014 up to the installation of LM18 last month. I did not test LM 17.2.
* After the fresh install of LM18, I left some software uninstalled which makes my LM18 install lighter than the LM17 install.
* I removed some background software that had no effect on video in LM17.
* I found the LM18 video works better if I switch my machine off then play the video before starting any other applications.
* Xplayer gives the best resolution/presentation and failed about 10 seconds in.
* VLC was doing something strange that I interpret as playing back at a lower resolution then upscaling. VLC failed the same as Xplayer.
* Some people recommended smplayer. Smplayer presents the same incorrect resolution as VLC and slows down instead of chopping the video.

The video I am using for this test is standard HD with too much compression because the camera is only middle of the range. During playback, the CPU usage is typically 48%.

The video currently plays back ok when I use Xplayer, use only the small screen on my laptop instead of my HD monitor or a HD tv, reboot before playing, and have almost no other applications started. Heap that on top of the applications I have not yet installed and the background tasks I removed. Later today I will test with a HD screen.

LM18 must have a higher overhead that makes it too heavy for video the way I used it before LM18. LM18 pushes the video processing workload over the limit for something in the computer. It is not memory or CPU usage. The SSD read speed is 10 to 20 times more than what HD video needs.

I noticed that after watching the choppy video, Nemo and some other software responded slightly slower. Xplayer or something appears to clog up the computer a little bit.

I noticed that one of the post LM18 updates made a trivial decorative change to Cinnamon and installed Ruby. How can a system have the same overhead when the whole of Ruby is installed? What else was added?

I also removed mono and the two applications that use mono. Between all the cleanups, video has improved. No single change made a noticeable difference. I will test some more but do not have the time for exhaustive testing. When I do install the missing applications, they will be new releases and the performance overhead will not be comparable.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Xplayer is now working with test video on HD screen.
* LM18 fresh install.
* Sound & Video -> Install codes etc.
* Updated to today.
* No applications added.
* Lots of packages deleted. Two days of cleaning up!

VLC is still broken, showing movement as jumpy.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

On a laptop:
Using Xplayer (aka Videos) during an extensive test period of Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit, mp4 videos would regularly freeze the system especially if a graphics intensive program was running on another workspace. VLC would do so as well but less often.

The cause: Using the command "sensors" in the terminal soon revealed that, although not in the critical range, the laptop was running hot - you could feel it underneath.

The cure: A laptop cooler.

The term laptop is widely used for a portable computer, although there are notebooks as well as netbooks which are also given the name of laptop. Different purpose and different design parameters.

On my desktop using kernel 4.4.0-34 with an i7 processor, 8 GB RAM and a powered nvidia graphics card with generous system cooling there were no freezes at all.

Choppiness may occur when trying to play a video in HD mode when your internet speed is not up to the task.

Just a few thoughts :)
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

@kyphi, good suggestion about laptop cooler. My laptop has not overheated when on a flat surface. When it is actually on a lap, the air flow can be blocked.

There could have been something in LM18 running in the background chewing up CPU time and overheating the CPU. System Monitor and top did not show anything. Some of the task names changed with kernel 4.4. I did not check them all.

The cleanup helped with a few other things. Desktop performance is snappy.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Petermint wrote:@Hoser Rob
My comparison is between Linux Mint 18 and Linux Mint 17 using the same hardware and video, a video from 2014. The video on LM18 is different. VLC is completely different. Something changed just enough to make the video choppy on my computer.
Something changed ON YOUR SYSTEM. That doesn't necessarily have any relevance for other hardware. For anyone else.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Something changed on your system.
Yes, Linux Mint 18 was installed.
That doesn't necessarily have any relevance for other hardware.
Except that it is one of the top selling notebook models. There are probably 10,000 with Linux Mint installed based on the popularity of an article I wrote on upgrading Windows to Linux Mint.
For anyone else.
That is something we do not know.

The problem was, most likely, some software that changed between LM 17 and 18. For future reference, the processor is i5-2467M with 2 cores at 1.6GHz. HD video is working with nothing heavy running in the background. There are about a dozen applications I have not yet used. A combination of them tipped the balance toward choppy video. If I find the combination, I will post it here for anyone with LM and a similar processor.
lucky62

Post by lucky62 »

Hello, I have the same problem with video on my new notebook - Lenovo T470 with fresh LM 18.3 installation (audio is ok).
Note that on my old HP EliteBook 8460p with the same LM version video is playing smoothly.
This is the info from both:

$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: T470 Kernel: 4.10.0-42-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0) Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 2.24.30)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: LENOVO (portable) product: 20HES2130Q v: ThinkPad T470
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 20HES2130Q v: SDK0J40697 WIN Bios: LENOVO v: N1QET67W (1.42 ) date: 10/03/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-7600U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11616
           clock speeds: max: 3900 MHz 1: 699 MHz 2: 699 MHz 3: 699 MHz 4: 699 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 5916 bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Device 9d71 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3 Sound: ALSA v: k4.10.0-42-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection (4) I219-LM driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k bus-ID: 00:1f.6
           IF: enp0s31f6 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Device 24fd driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: wlp4s0 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-) ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: N/A size: 512.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 454G used: 224G (52%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.05GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2688
Info:      Processes: 248 Uptime: 7:35 Memory: 8251.7/15925.5MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 

System:    Host: LUCKYNB Kernel: 4.4.0-104-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP EliteBook 8460p v: A0000C02
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 161C v: KBC Version 97.4D
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: 68SCF Ver. F.42 date: 07/15/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2520M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9976
           clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 1908 MHz 2: 1604 MHz 3: 2088 MHz 4: 2883 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-104-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 4060 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 24:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 576.1GB (43.6% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK3261GS size: 320.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: M4 size: 256.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 23G used: 22G (99%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1
           ID-2: /home size: 9.8G used: 7.7G (84%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/loop0
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: 0.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 275 Uptime: 0 min Memory: 1625.7/7893.1MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
So important differences are: kernel version, Graphics driver and monitor resolution.
Any hint, what can be wrong?

Thanks.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Hello, I have the same problem with video on my new notebook - Lenovo T470 with fresh LM 18.3 installation (audio is ok).
Hi lucky62, welcome to the forum.
This is an 1 year+ older thread, i think you'd probably have more chances resolving it by starting a new thread for it to be noticed & for people to pop up & help...
A description of what you mean by 'choppy' would also help, ie. is it screen tearing what you're experiencing, or does the video play for a couple of seconds then skips frames etc etc...
So important differences are: kernel version, Graphics driver and monitor resolution.
Any hint, what can be wrong?
Correct - but it's also that you're on a much newer Kabylake ;-)
Hence, I'd personally start by removing the much older xserver-xorg-video-intel (then reboot):
sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-intel
lucky62

Post by lucky62 »

Thanks for this hint:
sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-intel
I will try. But what driver should be used instead?
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...it will automatically use Intel's built-in-kernel driver, aka so-called 'modesetting' (you can verify that by running inxi again after rebooting). xserver-xorg-video-intel is meant for way older machines (pre-2007...), and Intel itself doesn't really work on it anymore (since late 2014), it only receives a few bugfixes every now & then (while the in-kernel driver is developed constantly)...

However, this doesn't mean that removing it will be a magic bullet for your case, it's just where i would start...
lucky62

Post by lucky62 »

ok, I have uninstalled xserver-xorg-video-intel, but no change... :-(

inxi not shows the driver now, but seems that modesetting is used.

$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 5916
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7

$ grep modesetting /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[     6.222] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 2
[     6.222] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
[     6.222] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so
[     6.222] (II) Module modesetting: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[     6.222] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 2
[     6.223] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
[     6.223] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so
[     6.223] (II) Module modesetting: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[     6.223] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[     6.223] (II) Unloading modesetting
[     6.223] (II) Failed to load module "modesetting" (already loaded, 0)
[     6.223] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
[     6.233] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
Video is still paused every each 5-6 seconds for short time 100-500ms.
However VLC is reporting no lost frames.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

What puzzles me in your inxi report is: "Intel Device 5916".
Check the threads here & also here...
lucky62

Post by lucky62 »

Regarding first link I am not sure what info is relevant to my problem.

From second link I tried to update firmware:
Screenshot from 2017-12-21 14-26-18.png
No effect.

And I added i915.enable_rc6=0 parameter to kernel.

T470 lucky62 # dmesg | grep i915
[    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.10.0-42-generic root=UUID=cd1127fb-6ca1-4b5c-b93d-e659ab6f0cf6 ro i915.enable_rc6=0
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.10.0-42-generic root=UUID=cd1127fb-6ca1-4b5c-b93d-e659ab6f0cf6 ro i915.enable_rc6=0
[    2.162500] i915 0000:00:02.0: enabling device (0006 -> 0007)
[    2.181512] [drm] Finished loading i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_01.bin (v1.1)
[    2.182110] i915 0000:00:02.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=io+mem:owns=mem
[    2.329220] [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20161121 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
[    3.866426] i915 0000:00:02.0: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device
[    4.995685] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: bound 0000:00:02.0 (ops i915_audio_component_bind_ops [i915])
Also without effect.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Regarding the first link, the part where he refers to the videocard most likely not recognized properly by the kernel...
I'd try updating the kernel to a newer version...

dmesg | grep rror & dmesg | grep ail ? (for errors & fails - anything relevant to graphics / device related stuff?)
Any unusual messages / warnings when running vlc / starting a video from the command line?
lucky62

Post by lucky62 »

Some errors are there...

$ dmesg | grep ail 
[    0.000000] e820: [mem 0x7f800000-0xefffffff] available for PCI devices
[    0.000000] Calgary: Unable to locate Rio Grande table in EBDA - bailing!
[    0.000000] Memory: 16164628K/16653680K available (9070K kernel code, 1667K rwdata, 3828K rodata, 2228K init, 2364K bss, 489052K reserved, 0K cma-reserved)
[    0.225773] acpi PNP0A08:00: _OSC failed (AE_SUPPORT); disabling ASPM
[    1.955260] EDD information not available.
[    4.753068] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-26.ucode failed with error -2
[    4.753082] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-25.ucode failed with error -2
[    4.753195] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-24.ucode failed with error -2
[    4.753205] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-23.ucode failed with error -2
[    4.775445] thinkpad_acpi: Standard ACPI backlight interface available, not loading native one
[    4.924825] thermal thermal_zone3: failed to read out thermal zone (-5)
[   11.603844] vboxdrv: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

$ dmesg | grep -i error
[    3.852605] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[    3.852608] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 2: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088192803
[    3.852608] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 1115f191f8 
[    3.852609] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1513887278 SOCKET 0 APIC 1 microcode 70
[    3.858565] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[    3.858566] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 2: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 00000000881a2802
[    3.858567] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 1116f9c06a 
[    3.858567] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1513887278 SOCKET 0 APIC 1 microcode 70
[    4.298720] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 0000000088192803
[    4.299600] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 1118062efc 
[    4.300836] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1513887278 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 70
[    4.301758] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 128: 00000000881a2802
[    4.302694] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 11182606d1 
[    4.304460] mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806e9 TIME 1513887278 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 70
[    4.626423] EXT4-fs (nvme0n1p2): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
[    4.753068] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-26.ucode failed with error -2
[    4.753082] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-25.ucode failed with error -2
[    4.753195] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-24.ucode failed with error -2
[    4.753205] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-23.ucode failed with error -2

When running VLC from commandline with monitoring kernel log and syslog:

$ tail -f /var/log/syslog &
$ tail -f /var/log/kern.log &
$ vlc /SHARED/SSD_DATA/VirtualMachines/VirtualBox/Spievankovo.avi 
VLC media player 2.2.2 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.2-0-g6259d80)
[0000000002148088] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_i965.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_i965.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread

Return to “Sound”