Ripping Music

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bootneck02

Ripping Music

Post by bootneck02 »

I have several hundred music CD's which I ripped when using Windows 10. Now that I have converted to Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 64 bit and have been using Mint for nearly 2 years I miss music whilst using the PC. How do I rip the CD's and what riper's are available preferably better than MP3 format.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ripping Music

Post by Bolle1961 »

I use asunder, besides mp3 to can rip to flac and ogg
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

And I prefer abcde, a command-line app which works brilliantly to rip to any file type you want providing you have the codec necessary to encode to it. I use it quite a lot.
There a very good but long thread, an updated guide to abcde at https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2257705 with links to lots of info and suggestions.
Well worth a try I suggest.
Once you have it setup the way you want, with the appropriate conf file in your home, just insert a CD, type abcde in terminal and away it goes, all on its own, even ripping to multiple file types simultaneously if you want.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I also use Asunder.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

And I will add my vote for Asunder
I have not tried abcde but it sounds (pun intended) good.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Asunder here too, and that was after researching and trying quite a few.

For lossless compression, the best format is Flac in my (most people's?) opinion. Your tracks should end up about 50% the size of the uncompressed equivalent.
For lossy compression, AAC or OGG give the best quality at a given bit-rate (opinions vary between the two).

Personally, with the cost of hard disc space these days, I would strongly recommend ripping to lossless as your master. You can always run a batch to transcode to another format if you want something smaller for your portable, but if you rip straight to lossy, you're pretty much stuck with that format as transcoding to another lossy format causes further deterioration of sound quality.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I generally rip to flac too ... in terms of sound quality any lossless format like flac or alac will sound identical to the original but flac is better supported.

I agree that aac is a somewhat better format than mp3 as far as sound quality goes, but I often convert to mp3 anyway because it's supported by more devices.

Actually I'd almost never rip directly to mp3 but to flac. But I'll often convert the flac files to mp3 because a hell of a lot of recordings aren't that good anyway. One of the biggest dirty secrets in audio is that the typical mic found in the typical studio is designed so that it'll still work if you drop it. Not so it'll sound good.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e »

These days I don't use any special software. I just drag-n-drop from the CD to the hard drive.

Mike
BEeK

Post by BEeK »

bootneck02 wrote:How do I rip the CD's and what riper's are available preferably better than MP3 format.
I wrote a script for CD ripping recently, you can find it here: https://github.com/7ng3dk/scripts (it is named "rip_cd.sh")

Run it at your own risk.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "bootneck02",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

If you have already ripped the music CD's, then those music files should play just fine in any computer operating system including Linux Mint.

If you have music and or audio CD's that you want to "Rip" into digital file formats, there are many excellent options for that, including "asunder" (+1). For archiving (backing up or storing) your music and or audio book collections, it is recommended to "Rip" the CD discs into a "lossless" audio format like ".flac". You can always easily convert them in the future into other audio file formats, like ".mp3" for use on portable devices and other devices that may not play a lossless format like ".flac".

Most really good music applications, like the excellent "Amarok" can easily "Rip" your CD's into various digital audio file formats, like ".flac", or ".mp3". With Amarok you just click the Home Media sources Key in upper left, then "Local Collection", Insert CD if not in, right click the CD at top left, select "copy to collection", and you will be given choices to pick the destination, local collection (hard drive) or attached USB flash drive stick or USB connected phone, and then you chose the audio file format from list (click "Advanced" button for customizing an audio file format for 256 bit or 320 bit mp3), then click next until it starts.

Most good CD/DVD applications, like the superb "K3b" (auto lookup and track naming), and "SimpleBurn" (no track naming?) can also Rip or Burn (create) music and audio discs...

Other CD "Rippers" in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM):
"Sound-Juicer", "soundKonverter" (rips and converts), "Asunder", "Audex", "ripoff (& ripoff-mp3-plugin)","ripperx", "freac", etc...

I usually use "Amarok" or "SoundKonverter" for Ripping audio CD's, or converting one audio file format to another.

Another post similar to this with examples....
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=219401&hilit=Ripper

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

I've been using Clementine to play music and rip from CDs.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Another vote for Asunder. Dead simple to use and it works every time for me.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I use thunar (xfce file-browser) to copy the audio files from a CD.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "bootneck02",

As anyone can plainly see, there are excellent Linux options available for easily "Ripping" audio and music CD's and converting various audio (music) file formats into other audio file formats.

But I forgot to mention one other CD "Ripper" application, so I thought I should give honourable mention to another really nice cross platform CD Ripper application called "fre:ac" (freac) that can easily and quickly Rip CD discs into various audio file formats (.mp3, .flac, ogg, etc...) and contains all the necessary codecs built-in. It can rip into individual audio tracks or one large (whole album) audio file with cue sheet and playlist options as well.

"fre:ac" is a free audio converter and CD ripper with support for various popular formats and encoders. It currently converts between MP3, MP4/M4A, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, WAV and Bonk formats.

Click the link below, scroll down the webpage to the Linux heading, and click the link like that below to download the 32-bit or 64-bit archive file.
https://www.freac.org/downloads-mainmenu-33
Linux
32-bit Binary .tar.gz package: freac-20161129-linux.tar.gz
64-bit Binary .tar.gz package (64 bit): freac-20161129-linux-x64.tar.gz

Note: When you first run "freac" this will install the "mono" runtime and the Wine Gecko plug-in as well, at least it did on my Linux Mint 17.3 KDE system (If it is not already installed).

Once you have downloaded the Archive file (.tar.gz), right click it and extract it to your "/Home" folder, then you run it by clicking the "freac" file in its folder. You can also create a new menu item or desktop launcher shortcut icon to start the program; Besides browsing to the "freac" file in the command box, I also had to specify the "work path" in launcher shortcut creation for it to work properly. Works very well.

Hope this helps ...
Freac_CD_Ripper_AudioConverter1sm.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sun May 28, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
bootneck02

Post by bootneck02 »

Thank you all for your help and suggestions :D .
gnappi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gnappi »

I know this is an older thread, but I just started using asunder and it works pretty good.
FearNot76

Post by FearNot76 »

Count me among the newbs - how do I use Asunder? I've gotten the app and installed it. I've opened it and dropped a CD into my player to rip and ... nothing. It's just sitting there doing nothing. :( Are there instructions somewhere for running this app?
Anselm10

Post by Anselm10 »

Put a CD in the player. Press the button "CDDB lookup" if necessary. The button "Rip" will be activated. :)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI FearNot76,

Try restarting "Asunder" with the disc in.

I just tried Asunder, and it automatically came right up with the disc information. If the music or audio disc is unknown, then you may not get a list with correct information, but you can still rip it to create digital files. Some "Rippers" will allow you to edit an unknown disc to add (or edit) the correct album title and song track information and upload that information to the worldwide disc database so that the next time you or anyone else insert that particular disc in it will be recognized; this happens a lot with very new music discs or if you create your own music discs.

You can try one of the other "rippers" as well.

Forgot to mention that if you did not install the 3rd party multi-media packages during the installation of Linux Mint, you need to do that. You can use the Welcome Screen from your menu, or search for "mint-meta-codecs" in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)". You might consider installing "ubuntu-restricted-extras" and "udftools" as well from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)". Then, retry any of the CD rippers.

Hope this helps ...
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

You should try these: Asunder, Audex, SoundKonverter, SoundConverter, RipperX.
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

Return to “Sound”