Media playback help!

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fruckNbike
Level 1
Level 1

Media playback help!

Post by fruckNbike »

For the sake of complete transparency, I'm a Linux noob; Windows 10 finally pushed me over the edge and I installed Linux Mint 17.3 (Cinnamon) on my family PC. For the most part, I've loved its performance and the challenge of learning a new OS, but recently I've ran into a problem that is frustrating me and my family greatly.

About 6 months ago, I installed a 4 TB SATA drive for the purpose of movies and music only. I've got it mounted and the media is on the drive. For months I had no issues whatsoever playing the movies. By way of PLEX (media manager) my kids were in their glory. During the last week I noticed I couldn't play movies on Plex any longer. Nothing had changed so I figured the issue was network related or something. After a several hours troubleshooting Plex, I had the idea to try to just play the movie on the server. To my surprise, the files won't play at all, or play extremely choppy (a frame every 2 seconds or more). The files are mostly MKV, however there are a couple MP4 or AVI. I've never noticed any error message, the file just will hang.

Appreciate any insight anyone might have. I suspect an issue accessing the drive from the drive my OS is on, but willing to try anything to restore movie tranquility in my home :D !!!

Thanks VERY much!
Last edited by karlchen on Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title from all uppercase (not appreciated) to sentence case (recommended), cf. forum rules, please

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Media playback help!

Post by Lord Boltar »

It may be a permissions issue try CTRL+ALT+T to bring up the terminal then type in or copy and paste

sudo gpasswd -a plex plugdev

then

sudo service plexmediaserver restart
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”