No onboard speaker sound, headphones work

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
michellewardley

No onboard speaker sound, headphones work

Post by michellewardley »

Please help....

Code: Select all

System:    Host: michellewardley-CF-30FWKEZAA Kernel: 4.4.0-62-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Machine:   System: Matsushita product: CF-30FWKEZAA v: 002
           Mobo: Matsushita model: CF30-2 v: 001
           Bios: Phoenix v: V2.00L15 date: 06/19/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo L7500 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 6383
           clock speeds: max: 1601 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1200 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1024x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-62-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection
           driver: iwl4965 v: in-tree: bus-ID: 0b:00.0
           IF: wlp11s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Marvell 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: sky2 v: 1.30 port: 4000 bus-ID: 0d:00.0
           IF: enp13s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2240.5GB (0.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54328 size: 80.0GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: 8628US3 size: 160.0GB
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: 8628US3 size: 2000.4GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 60G used: 7.7G (14%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.14GB used: 0.25GB (12%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0C mobo: 42.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 199 Uptime: 13:01 Memory: 1427.6/1991.1MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.461) inxi: 2.2.35
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: No onboard speaker sound, headphones work

Post by gtsfer »

Check your sound/multimedia settings. Make sure the hardware settings match what you have plugged in. For example "stereo speakers" or "5.1 surround + stereo input". Then try the "test" in your audio setup. If it's correct and the driver is loaded (yours appears to be there) it should work.
michellewardley

Unfortunately test says nothing. No response.....
I'm running a toughbook CF-30, sound worked until a win Vista update stuffed it.
Can you suggest a safe sound/video Codec?
Shell
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

No codec is likely to fix this if it doesn't work in setup. You're saying a Win Vista update broke the audio in Linux? That's odd. So you have no sound in Vista as well as a result, correct? Are you sure your hardware is still OK? There's no loose jacks or anything like that.
michellewardley

Thanks for your reply,
No I'm saying that my sound went while I was still using Vista, then updated, no sound, I've heard a couple of blips & peeps here and there. Then I installed Linux Cinnamon 18.1
if I can hear on my headphones its not the sound card is it. And my onboard mic works for voice recog.
Do you know of a test for sound that's a bit more comprehensive? I have seen that there are a few others having the exact same problem in some other threads.

Shell
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

michellewardley wrote:Thanks for your reply,
No I'm saying that my sound went while I was still using Vista, then updated, no sound, I've heard a couple of blips & peeps here and there. Then I installed Linux Cinnamon 18.1
So it "broke" or went out in Vista before you even had Linux Mint installed.
michellewardley wrote:if I can hear on my headphones its not the sound card is it. And my onboard mic works for voice recog.
Do you know of a test for sound that's a bit more comprehensive? I have seen that there are a few others having the exact same problem in some other threads.
Not necessarily. Part of your sound card could have gone bad. Or a connection came lose or some other hardware related issue. Just because the headphones and mic work doesn't mean the "speaker" (aka output jacks) part of the card is still good. I think that's not likely but is possible from teh sound of it.

Yes, some hardware diagnostics might be in order. I have to run out for a while as I'm having some issues to deal with today.
michellewardley

Yes, before mint. Went out on applying an update in windows & I recall a stack of driver errors for various parts & pieces, esp USB devices, which were sorted out by subsequent updates.

Thanks heaps for your help.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "michellewardley"

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

If you are using any USB devices, then running "lsusb" and posting those results would help as well.

This is a laptop, a Panasonic Tough Book? Are the speakers built-in or external?

If your headphones are working, then your speakers should work as well. Try unplugging the headphones and see if the speakers now work, restart without the headset plugged in if need be. Or try unplugging the headset and plugging in external speaker into that same jack and see what happens. I use an audio "Y" splitter in my desktop line out (speaker jack) so I can run my speakers and headphones at the same time. Do you have audio jacks in the back of the computer as well as in the front of the computer?

FYI: I recommend installing pulse audio volume control (pavucontrol) and qasmixer.

There are some really nice graphical (GUI) programs for sound that start with "Qas", like the fantastic "Qasmixer", in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) that you can install and use. Which might let you switch back and forth between using your headset (headphones) while still plugged in and or speakers.

Sound "Mixers" can be a little confusing if you are not familiar with them. If you bring up "Qasmixer" and make it fullscreen, on the right side you will have mixer devices where you can control your system sound. If you do not see the mixer devices, hit "F6". The mixer item "sysdefault" will show all installed sound card devices, and you will have various options to adjust various volume controls using "sliders" which you can turn off and on using the "dot" below the volume slider. There are also various other check boxes below that you can use, and depending upon your sound card(s) that sometimes includes headphone check boxes and or sliders as well, like "Headphone Jack Sense".

The applications included are:
- qasconfig - browser for the alsa configuration tree
- qashctl - mixer for alsa's high level control interface
- qasmixer - desktop mixer with features similar to alsamixer

Qasmixer is a desktop mixer application for alsa's "simple mixer interface" and offers features similar to alsamixer. it also features a sytem tray icon with basic mixer functionality.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
michellewardley

If your headphones are working, then your speakers should work as well. Try unplugging the headphones and see if the speakers now work, restart without the headset plugged in if need be. Or try unplugging the headset and plugging in external speaker into that same jack and see what happens. I use an audio "Y" splitter in my desktop line out (speaker jack) so I can run my speakers and headphones at the same time. Do you have audio jacks in the back of the computer as well as in the front of the computer?
Unplug headphones
Tick :)
No ext speakers to use....
On board speakers are installed. (although I think this is where I have a driver missing)
Jacks, only at back.

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0424:2503 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 044e:3001 Alps Electric Co., Ltd UGTZ4 Bluetooth
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0430:0530 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0480:a200 Toshiba America Inc
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

BTW Should I install this
Linux Kernel Update ....... 4.4.0-63.84
This update contains 5 packages: linux-headers-4.4.0-63 linux-headers-4.4.0-63-generic linux-image-4.4.0-63-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-63-generic linux-libc-dev

or grub2 (2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.7) xenial; urgency=medium
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "michellewardley",

I could not tell from your response if removing the headphones (headset) worked or not? Did your speakers work after removing the headphones? If not, did you retry restarting without the headphones plugged in to see if speakers worked that way?

There are no "drivers" required that I know of for the speakers to work, for the sound card yes, and I don't see a problem with that. Does an external speaker work? Assuming the built-in internal speakers are not damaged, they should work.

Did you have any work done on the computer, or did you do any work on the computer, or did you drop it, where perhaps the built-in internal speaker connectors might have dislodged or become disconnected? You can contact the manufacturer or look in your manual to see how the built-in speakers are connected, or what to do for diagnosis and or repair or replacement.

I recommend installing qasmixer and checking its options. If you have trouble understanding it, post full screen screenshots of qasmixer on the "sysdefault" mixer back here.

Some people claim to always install kernel updates. There used to be an option in the Mint Update Manager (View->Kernel updates) where it would show you the highest "recommended" kernel updates which you should install. I personally have never had any issues installing the Linux kernel updates displayed in the Mint Update Manager window, security level 5 or not.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
yaye

Post by yaye »

Hello,

Open a terminal and run:

alsamixer

Press F3 to see the Playback View, use the left and right arrow keys to go to Analog Output, then use the up and down arrow keys to see if they will allow you to switch between output to the headphones or speakers. This is the only way I can switch output between the front panel headphones and rear speakers on my desktop.
michellewardley

Yeah no joy :(
yaye

Post by yaye »

Hello,

Although this link is about a Toughbook CF-F8, the cause may be the same: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/632046
Looks like it's a hardware bug with Toughbooks that has been occurring for years.
michellewardley

$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0424:2503 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 003: ID 044e:3001 Alps Electric Co., Ltd UGTZ4 Bluetooth
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0430:0530 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
jmg

Post by jmg »

Installing pavucontrol (PulseAudio Volume Control, in the Multimedia section of the Application Menu), and playing with the change between speakers and headphone, solved it for me.

Return to “Sound”