PulseAudio not running at startup

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
harbinger
Level 1
Level 1

PulseAudio not running at startup

Post by harbinger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:01 pm

I installed Linux Mint 18.1 Mate x64 a month ago, and my sound was working just fine. Since then I started playing with jack audio and developed an issue. Every time my machine starts up into Mint, PulseAudio does not start and I have no sound, so I have to go to a terminal and run 'pulseaudio --start'. 'jackd' doesn't start at boot either, so it seems to me there's no conflict.

I've looked in the Startup Applications Preferences window, and there is an entry for PulseAudio that runs the command 'start-pulseaudio-x11'. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue so I don't have to keep starting PulseAudio manually?

dave8671
Level 3
Level 3

Re: PulseAudio not running at startup

Post by dave8671 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:36 am

I think the best option is to remove jackd and reboot. If this fixes the sound great but if it does not you can try reinstalling
pulseaudio see if that fixes the sound issue. just use synaptic and search for Pulseaudio. click it and reinstall than reboot.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: PulseAudio not running at startup

Post by Flemur » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:04 pm

harbinger wrote:I installed Linux Mint 18.1 Mate x64 a month ago, and my sound was working just fine. Since then I started playing with jack audio and developed an issue. Every time my machine starts up into Mint, PulseAudio does not start and I have no sound, so I have to go to a terminal and run 'pulseaudio --start'. 'jackd' doesn't start at boot either, so it seems to me there's no conflict.
First look for files root might own (prevents you from writing to them):

Code: Select all

find $HOME ! -user $USER 
Any files returned might be a problem. Change them so you own them.

Remove a pulse file that sometimes causes problems:

rm -r ~/.pulse*
Check that the services are OK:

systemctl status pulseaudio 
systemctl status jackd
Reconfigure or reinstall:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure pulseaudio 
sudo dpkg-reconfigure jackd 
or

sudo apt-get install --reinstall pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install --reinstall jackd
Disclaimer: I don't have pulseaudio or jack[X] currently installed so guessing at the package and service names.

You also might google for something like [linux audio jack pulseaudio] because they sometimes don't play nice together.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”