mint6-64 strange

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thomase
Level 1
Level 1

mint6-64 strange

Post by thomase »

I have just updated my main pc to Mint 6 and 64 bit, now I can not save videos from youtube in anything but .flv type. My other pc is still on Mint 5 32bit and is working fine, dwhelper on Mint 5 gives option to save as .flv or another (.avi) format. but on Mint 6 only one option .flv and I am unable to convert to another format. I have read about the bug (h264 codecs etc.)in ubuntu and tried the solutions offered but still not working. any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: mint6-64 strange

Post by Husse »

I did not even know you could save videos from Youtube :)
I have asked for help
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

I have no idea if this works on 64bit... but I usually use the youtube-dl package... To install run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install youtube-dl
To download run

cd /directory/you/want/to/download/to/
youtube-dl http://www.youtube.com/url-of-video
This does download an .flv file which will play on Mplayer and VLC at least... If you want a .avi file, use mencoder to convert (preferably without reencoding) or use acidrip if you need a GUI.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

For what it's worth if .flv format is the issue, just run this in terminal in the directory where the .flv file is [replacing filename with what the flv is called, and newfilename with what you want the avi to be called]

ffmpeg -i filename.flv newfilename.avi
Also you dont need any special downloader unless you really want one. All streamed video, once fully loaded, is located in the /tmp folder (it only resides there as long as the flash video page is open in the webbrowser, so save it elsewhere before you close the page).
thomase
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thomase »

I have overcome the problem by reverting back to Mint 6 32bit. It may also have been caused by updating "ALL" :?

Return to “Sound”