Linux computer as Media Server and TV card etc ?

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vladtepes
Level 3
Level 3

Linux computer as Media Server and TV card etc ?

Postby vladtepes » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:38 am

I had a computer running Windows 7 and on which the (for Microsoft) excellent 'Windows Media Centre' was running. On Win 10 that has been gotten rid of :( On that system I had a Hauppauge digital TV tuner card and had that working well too).

I still have all this hardware (which will be reinstalled in a custom case I'm building).
As I may eventually sell that computer, I'd prefer to have Linux installed rather than Windows, IF it will do what I need it to do.

Are there programs which can play media files & DVD's reliably? If so, which ones would people suggest?

Can a Linux machine be used as a media server (I assume yes, but am just checking)

Does anyone know if Hauppauge tuner cards are (still) compatible with Linux?

I think I have this card: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... r2255.html
It says The WinTV-HVR-2255 and WinTV-HVR-2205 have open source Linux support. See this link from LinuxTV.org https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-medi ... 86862.html Unfortunately at the moment the contents of that link mean little to me (new Linux user)
Further investigation via google seems to indicate that it is compatible but kernel hacks are needed (sounds a bit scary, and this may be what the above link is).
Anyway a lot of these links are quiet dated, so I was wondering what the situation is these days (looking at Mint 18.1 Cinnamon). System will be able to cope with it, no worries.

Edit: I also just found this viewtopic.php?f=90&t=243981&p=1305289&hilit=media+computer+linux#p1305289
and viewtopic.php?t=21980&start=80
and will give those a read as well.

Cheers
Keep Calm
and
Impale Your Enemies

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux computer as Media Server and TV card etc ?

Postby coffee412 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:37 am

Im not using the same card as you but I run a Mythtv box upstairs with a ceton 6 port card and a comcast card inserted into it. Might want to take a look at Mythtv if you want to run a dedicated Multi-media box.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp * Samba AD * Mint 18.1 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36

vladtepes
Level 3
Level 3

Postby vladtepes » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks.
Keep Calm
and
Impale Your Enemies

vladtepes
Level 3
Level 3

Postby vladtepes » Wed May 31, 2017 1:04 am

Any more advice / info on this?

SOFTWARE Q:
There's MythTV - what other Linux software would be most analogous to Windows Media Centre (bundled with Win7)

HARDWARE Q:
For some silly reason I sold my GTX660 a while back, but have now decided to build a media pc which will eventually go to someone else.

What's a good (read cheap) video card for HDTV and that has at least a HDMI connector, and of course, is not known to Linux compatibility issues?

And what sort of $ might I expect to pay for such a card?

Thanks
Keep Calm
and
Impale Your Enemies

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Postby coffee412 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:10 am

Iam investigating Kodi right now. Seems very promising. I understand there are some rather inexpensive devices to run kodi on also. AND - it will function as a front end for mythtv too.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp * Samba AD * Mint 18.1 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36

phd21
Level 13
Level 13

Postby phd21 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:10 am

Hi "vladtepes",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information. If using a USB tuner, the also include results from "lsusb".

Your Linux Mint computers can easily be used for multimedia servers if they are not too old and underpowered. "Kodi" and "Plex Home Theater" are two excellent choices with many options. For simple streaming software PS3 Media Server or Universal Media Server (UMS), etc...

As for watching TV using a computer TV tuner, there are some options for that as well (including the above), MythTV, Kaffeine, VLC?, SMPlayer?, etc... search the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)"...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.2, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Hoser Rob » Wed May 31, 2017 4:03 pm

phd21 wrote:... It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information. If using a USB tuner, the also include results from "lsusb". ...

Definitely agree ... with older or slower hardware you'd probably get better results with separate dedicated apps than something like Kodi. Those media center apps tend to be big and heavy.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”