Moving music purchased from an iPhone to a computer running Mint

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
137ben
Level 1
Level 1

Moving music purchased from an iPhone to a computer running Mint

Postby 137ben » Mon May 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Hello, Mint community. I am a former Windows user trying to finalize my transition to Linux. I currently have Linux Mint running on my laptop, and a dual installation of Mint and Windows 10 on my desktop. Right now, there is only one Windows application that I'd been using which isn't available on Linux, and that program is iTunes. I don't actually use iTunes to play music--there are many other media players that I find easier to use and that are on Linux. However, there are a few things I do use iTunes for. I've been able to find alternative programs to do two of those things, and I need help with the third.

1) Moving photos, notes, and contacts between my iPhone and my computer:
I already figured out several ways to do this without iTunes.

2)Moving music from my computer(s) to my iPhone:
The easiest way I found to do this without iTunes is to use the VLC for iOS app. It has a feature allowing you to share audio files from a desktop/laptop to the app's media library without the computer needing to have any particular program installed.

3)Purchasing music from the iTunes store, and downloading that purchased music onto my computer:
This is the thing that I'm having trouble doing without Windows. As far as I know, one cannot purchase music from the iTunes store without either a computer with iTunes installed or an iOS device. Currently, if I want to purchase music from iTunes, the process I have to go through is:
a)Shut down my desktop (which has Linux and Windows dual-installed)
b)Boot it up from the partition with Windows
c)Buy the music I want using iTunes for Windows, and download it onto my computer
d)Shut down my desktop again, and boot the partition with Linux
e)Move the audio files I just bought from one partition to the other
f) I can purchase music from the iTunes store using my iPhone.

This process is cumbersome, and it requires me to keep a partition of Windows around for this sole purpose. Since I already have an iPhone, and iPhones are supposed to be able to purchase stuff from the iTunes store, I feel like there should be a simpler way to buy music directly from my phone and then move it, either to a cloud service or directly to my computer. I can purchase music from my phone. What I can't figure out how to do is get any music I purchased on my iPhone onto my computer, without using iTunes on Windows.
The VLC cloud sharing feature I mentioned in (2) doesn't help in this case--the VLC for iOS app has a seperate music library from the built-in iPhone music app, and the VLC app can only share music from its own library. While the iCloud can back up photos, settings, contacts, and notes, it doesn't seem to be able to back up music, meaning I cannot use the iCloud to move music from my phone to another device, and third party apps which depend on iCloud APIs may not be able to either. The Google Drive app, which I use regularly for documents, can access my phone's photo album but doesn't seem to be able to access music to upload. Other cloud apps I've tried have similar limitations.

So, I'm stumped.

TL; DR: If I buy music from the iTunes store app on my iPhone, how can I copy the music from my iPhone to a computer running Linux without using iTunes for Windows or Mac?

Also, in case it matters, the particular device I am working with is an iPhone 6S running the latest iOS (10.3.2).

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Moving music purchased from an iPhone to a computer running Mint

Postby austin.texas » Mon May 22, 2017 1:00 pm

This might be the answer - I don't know if there is a better way or not... :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=198099

There are alternative ways to get music, including stores not related to iTunes
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2017

MintBean
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Moving music purchased from an iPhone to a computer running Mint

Postby MintBean » Mon May 22, 2017 1:05 pm

Consider moving away from the Apple ecosystem if you want to stick with Linux long term. Apple at best has no interest in maintaining Linux interoperability, and at worst intentionally makes unnecessary changes to purposely break it.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”