USB Dynex Headset not working with Mint 18.1

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
chapper
Level 1
Level 1

USB Dynex Headset not working with Mint 18.1

Postby chapper » Mon May 22, 2017 3:13 pm

New user of Linux on a fresh DELL Latitude E6500
Mint 18.1 'Serena' Xfce 64-bit
Looked at and played around with "PulseAudio Volume Control" as a video on YouTube recommended (and someone on Mint Forums as well)
Couldn't make sense of it enough to get the headset working - neither mic or audio is working. The headset works on Windows.
Clicked on 'Drivers' in the Mint Welcome Screen and I think it updated (or something) - no fix. It did say something about two drivers but didn't clearly explain what I ought to do, if anything. So, I did nothing other than 'x-out' of the window.

Finally, I poked around and found this viewtopic.php?f=90&t=30652 and this viewtopic.php?f=49&t=158093 but neither seemed to apply or at least I couldn't make it correct my issue.

In closing, I'll keep working on a fix for a reasonable amount of time to try and get these to work. Sometimes I work out of coffee shops and don't want the audio or sound to otherwise be through built-in speaker/mic. IF I find a video or link that has instructions that actually resolves my issue, I'll come back and share the links and close out this topic.

Thanks in advance.
chapper from Canada.

chapper
Level 1
Level 1

Re: USB Dynex Headset not working with Mint 18.1

Postby chapper » Mon May 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Further ...

From here --> viewtopic.php?f=90&t=30652

"Most programs now use ALSA instead of OSS. Open Pulse Audio Volume Control then click on the Output Devices tab. In there you should see Logitech USB Headset and something else like HDA Intel. If you can see your USB headset this should work. Now click on the Playback tab and make sure whatever you want to play through your USB headset is trying to make sound so that it shows up in the playback tab. Click the arrow in the upper right and go to Move Stream -> Logitech USB Headset. If you would rather just make the USB default for everything you can also go to the Output Devices tab, click the little triangle in the upper right and check default."

There is no reference to 'Dynex USB Headset', for example, in any of the tabs in my "OpenPulse Audio Volume Control" center window. IMO, the hardware is simply NOT even being recognized/handshaked by the system as USB hardware even though the light blue LED light on the device is showing me that there's power going through the wire up into my headset. I though it was a driver thing but not sure since I thought I updated the drivers. Help if you have some. TIA.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”