Codecs package

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Vasilis_K
Level 1
Level 1

Codecs package

Postby Vasilis_K » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:05 pm

I don't understand why along with the mint codecs, xplayer and other software is installed. Uninstalling xplayer results in uninstalling the codecs too. VLC is also depended on the codecs package. So, that means that uninstalling xplayer results also to not having video thumbs in Nemo, and other problems too.
Can't the codecs package be available without any extra apps included? Consider this as a request too.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Codecs package

Postby xenopeek » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:42 pm

The codecs package (mint-meta-codecs) is nothing more than a meta package; a package that lists which other packages should be installed. It is a convenience to install a lot of packages in one go easily. Removing one of those packages will also, necessarily, remove the mint-meta-codecs package as otherwise you would have a system with broken dependencies. However as the codecs package is just a meta package it doesn't have any software itself. So removal for mint-meta-codecs doesn't do remove any software.

One of the things that mint-meta-codecs installs is xplayer-mozilla and xplayer-plugins-extra. These in turn depend on xplayer (surprise) so that will also get installed. If you have some reason to not want the Xapps installed on your Linux Mint system you can instead install mint-meta-codecs-core. That doesn't install the Xplayer stuff. This will install the VLC stuff and that is otherwise unrelated to Nemo (Nemo doesn't use VLC for video previews that I know).

I don't know the link between Nemo and Xplayer for video previews. If you don't want to install Xplayer, Nemo may instead perhaps work with Totem.

Vasilis_K
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Vasilis_K » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:18 am

Thanks for replying.
Unfortunately, installing just the core file doesn't give video thumbs. Somehow, Nemo is depended on xplayer for the video thumbs. Does anyone know how we could have video thumbs without having to install xplayer (thus the full mint-meta-codecs package)?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:45 am

I asked the Nemo developers. You don't need Xplayer but then you do need to install another thumbnail utility. Nemo doesn't care what utility does the thumbnailing as long as there's one with a mimetype handler like image/xxxx or whatever for the filetype you want thumbnails for.

Like I already said, you do need to install another thumbnail utility for video files if you don't want to install Xplayer for some reason.
xenopeek wrote:If you don't want to install Xplayer, Nemo may instead perhaps work with Totem.

Aside from my suggestions for Totem they suggested ffmpegthumbnailer should also work.

Vasilis_K
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Vasilis_K » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Well... ffmpegthumbnailer doesn't work. Not even with the core installed. Only the full package, with xplayer works... I don't understand. I wish vlc could do the job...

phd21
Level 13
Level 13

Postby phd21 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi "Vasilis_K",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I do not understand what the problem is? The "x" applications are new applications being developed and they do not take up much space at all, so why would anyone want to remove them? If you want to use another application as your default application for certain file types, then simply tell your system to use that, example if you prefer VLC over xplayer...

If you want to be able to play multimedia files, and have other useful multimedia functions (and who would not?), then you should install the multimedia codecs during the initial Linux Mint installation, or afterwards.

As for displaying thumbnails, that depends upon which edition and version of Linux Mint you are using and what type of files you want to preview thumbnail images of, and if you go into the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and search for "thumbnail", you will see various options, including "ffmpegthumbnailer", "ffmpegthumbs", "mplayerthumbs", and more. (I will install most of these thumbnail packages, even though it is not necessary for everyone to do that). I found that if I want to see thumbnails of PDF files in my Dolphin file manager in my Linux Mint KDE systems, I have to install "kdegraphics-thumbnailers" and "evince (document viewer)" PDF app, then tell the Dolphin configuration preferences to preview those types of files.

KDE_Dolphin_FileManager_Thumbnail_Previews1.jpg
Thumbnail Preview preferences
Dolphin File Manager KDE desktop
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.2, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Well let's see. First step, what mimetype are we talking about. Run this command on the terminal from the directory where you have a video file that doesn't have a thumbnail currently. Replace filename with the full filename (if the file has whitespace in its name escape that or enclose the entire filename in quotes):
xdg-mime query filetype filename
It should respond something like "video/mp4".

Thumbnailers installed on your system put a file in /usr/share/thumbnailers/ with the list of mimetypes they handle. Check if there is one installed that handles the mimetype for your file. With the above example you could do that with command like:
grep "video/mp4" /usr/share/thumbnailers/*

Vasilis_K
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Vasilis_K » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:01 pm

phd21 wrote:I do not understand what the problem is? The "x" applications are new applications being developed and they do not take up much space at all, so why would anyone want to remove them? If you want to use another application as your default application for certain file types, then simply tell your system to use that, example if you prefer VLC over xplayer...

If you want to be able to play multimedia files, and have other useful multimedia functions (and who would not?), then you should install the multimedia codecs during the initial Linux Mint installation, or afterwards.

I just have, let's say, an "obsession" of not having apps installed that I don't use, no matter their size. :D
My objection is, why other software should be installed along with the codecs to have the thumbs. I think that is a function that should be implemented to the file browser. Nemo in our case.

Vasilis_K
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Vasilis_K » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:02 pm

xenopeek wrote:Well let's see. First step, what mimetype are we talking about. Run this command on the terminal from the directory where you have a video file that doesn't have a thumbnail currently. Replace filename with the full filename (if the file has whitespace in its name escape that or enclose the entire filename in quotes):
xdg-mime query filetype filename
It should respond something like "video/mp4".

Thumbnailers installed on your system put a file in /usr/share/thumbnailers/ with the list of mimetypes they handle. Check if there is one installed that handles the mimetype for your file. With the above example you could do that with command like:
grep "video/mp4" /usr/share/thumbnailers/*

Anyway, I think I'll stick with the easy solution of living with xplayer. It's not that big deal after all. Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”