MediaPlayer plugins [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eNG1Ne
Level 2
Level 2

MediaPlayer plugins [SOLVED]

Post by eNG1Ne »

MediaPlayer says it needs a plugin to play .midi files … but the Helps only mention the plugins already installed. How do I find and install extras for obscure file-formats like .mid <g>

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: MediaPlayer plugins

Post by Moem »

Which MediaPlayer are we talking about?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: MediaPlayer plugins

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don't know what app you're talking about either. In Mint (or Ubuntu) the app that gets installed by default gets called Media PLayer or Document Viewer instead of its actual name. Yes, I know it's stupid. If you're smart enough to get Linux installed and working you can probably remember the names of your programs ... idiotic, isn't it?

And the actual app would depend on which DE version you have. But you can get the correct name by just opening it and going to help > about.

Then, what I'd try is opening Synaptic Package manager and opening the search popup. Then enter the actual name of the package. You should come up with a list of items, and there are probably plugins there.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
eNG1Ne
Level 2
Level 2

Re: MediaPlayer plugins [SOLVED]

Post by eNG1Ne »

The app turns out to be Rhythmbox, which doesn't have a .midi plugin … so it's not really very helpful to have it set as the default app for opening .midi :-}

But thanks for the tip; now I know it's not going to work. (and in the meantime, I have Timidity up and running)

Return to “Sound”