No System Sounds, but application sounds work fine

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hkindle
Level 1
Level 1

No System Sounds, but application sounds work fine

Post by hkindle »

After adding a new video card (AMD RX560) I had to jump through a lot of hoops but eventually got it working, displaying video.

Unfortunately, my system sounds (Logon, Logoff, Test Sound, etc...) do not work now. Application sounds work fine (Music Player, Video Player, Web Stream etc..).

My motherboard is ASUS Prime B350 Plus with audio Realtek ALC887-VD, and OD is Linux Mint 18.2, kernel 4.10.0-27, cinnamon.

The two sound cards are named HDMI (Video Card HDMI) and Generic (MoBo Analog or SPIF).

I am tying to use the Generic audio card analog stereo output to play all sounds. My monitor does not have audio, HDMI or otherwise.

I have made sure the Generic card is card zero in ALSA (aplay -l), but pulseaudio (pactl list cards) has the Generic card as card one and the HDMI card as card zero. The default pulseaudio sink is set properly to the Generic Card’s analog stereo output.

I have made sure nothing is muted and the settings seem appropriate in System Setting/Sound tool and pavucontrol.

I fear I may have corrupted something while trying to get my video card and/or on-board audio to work.

If you have any ideas on how I might enable my system sounds again, I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,
Harry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AE2100A
Level 2
Level 2

Re: No System Sounds, but application sounds work fine

Post by AE2100A »

I am running Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah

I am currently having the same problem. System Sounds are not assigned to a playback device in pulseaudio, yet other applications are. I was attempting to "fix" my audio. Before I started, System Sounds were assigned and thus working. Through the process of fixing my issue where I could only choose analog stereo, I "fixed" my issue be able to use Built In Audio Analog Surround 5.1. Can't seem to figure out what I could have done which would have forced system sounds to no playback device and no option to do so.
hkindle
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No System Sounds, but application sounds work fine

Post by hkindle »

Solved this a while ago.

It turns out the system was trying to send sound to my HDMI monitor, with no speakers.

Redirected it to speakers and fixed the problem.

Return to “Sound”