which browser best for using Flash for streaming?

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

which browser best for using Flash for streaming?

Postby curtvaughan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:54 pm

Does anyone have recommendations for any linux compatible browsers which still support Flash? I'm a cycling fan, which the last several years means I have to subscribe to NBC Sports Gold in order to follow the races. This is the first year I finally haven't been able to use any of my browsers - Chrome, Chromium, Firefox (Linux), or Safari/Chrome on Mac OS (iMac) - to stream. I was able to watch the Tour de France which ended 6 weeks ago, but the Tour of Spain has opened today with no success. Safari on the Mac (the last browser I had which worked) has updated, also without Flash support. The only venues I can use for streaming are iOS (iPad, iPhone) and Android, as they have updated NBC Gold apps which don't use Flash. There may be some hoops I can jump through to get the laptop/desktop browsers to work, but that would of course require compromising security on those machines. Anyway, if anyone can suggest an out-of-the-box browser I might be able to use on one of my Linux laptops, I'd sure be grateful. I could just install it to one laptop distro for use in streaming Flash content. In the meantime, am stuck with little screens of phones and tablet.

P.S. - I'm griping about this with the NBC Gold people, so hopefully I can add to the volume of their squeaky wheel inspiration.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

OunceofCommonSense
Level 2
Level 2

Re: which browser best for using Flash for streaming?

Postby OunceofCommonSense » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:10 pm

I thought it was installed on the default Firefox but here are some directions that may helphttps://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/keep-flash-up-to-date-and-troubleshoot-problems#w_installing-or-updating-flash
Iff you go into Firefox Addons/plugins and see Shockwave Flash make sure it is enabled
MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Dual Boot -Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus with Cinnamon DE and Linux Mint 18.1 Serena Cinnamon

Schultz
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Schultz » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:50 pm

You can try Pale Moon.

http://linux.palemoon.org/

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Postby curtvaughan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:06 am

Thanks for the suggestions on the browser issue. I'm still a bit unclear as to what the root problem might be, but a day after complaining to NBC Sports about the Flash issues, they adjusted something on the server end to allow Safari, on my iMac, to work in watching the Vuelta. I still haven't tested Chrome, Firefox, and Pale Moon on my Linux boxes. Onward through the fog, as they say. Thanks again.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”