HDMI TV Hookup Problem (SOLVED)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

HDMI TV Hookup Problem (SOLVED)

Post by felemur »

I've installed Mint 18.2 Cinnamon on an ASUS X541NA-RS91-CB Notebook PC, Model #: X541N for someone wanting to switch over from Windows 10. Due to her need to have Windows 10 for MS Office for work related items, I installed Mint alongside WIN 10 as a dual boot system.

Everything seemed good when I was testing it, but a problem has emerged that I don't know how to deal with. Below is her description of the issue:

-------------

I unplugged everything, then started up the computer and it was fine. Then I shut it down again and plugged in the HDMI cord to the computer & TV. Started it up in Linux, and once I sign in, if you look at the upper photo it shows my Chrome Browser start page on the computer, but the TV shows only the Desktop, and does not allow me to open any applications - the bottom panel is not shown and no cursor, but the sound is coming through the TV. I then restarted the computer and selected Windows (see lower photo) and all is normal. The computer screen went dark, the TV shows my desktop with the panel at the bottom, allowing me to get into Chrome, etc. and the sound is fine.

Also: When I start Linux, the sign in page and cursor are on both the TV and computer, but after I sign in, Chrome will open on the computer screen, but then there's no cursor or Chrome on the TV screen - only the desktop.

------------

So, to me it seems since it is working correctly when she boots Windows, the issue is with some setting in Linux. Any ideas where to start?

The Lower image is it working correctly with Win 10 booted, the Upper image is it just showing the desktop too large on the TV (zoomed?), but working on the computer screen, which is not shutting off automatically as it does in Win 10 with the TV plugged in and working.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: HDMI TV Hookup Problem

Post by greerd »

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the 'Mirror Displays' isn't ticked in the Display settings.
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur »

Thank you.

She says that fixed it.

She has one more question.

How do you set it so that the computer screen goes off when the TV is on?

She says it is automatic in Windows 10.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Not sure about HDMi or your laptop but when I used to use the external vga plug there was a tv (or montor) icon on the laptop keyboard that cycled internal - external - both, has she tried that?
felemur
Level 5
Level 5

Post by felemur »

Thank you so much greerd. That fixed it. Excellent help.

You were right: On her computer, Function F8 cycles through the monitor/TV options.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: HDMI TV Hookup Problem (SOLVED)

Post by greerd »

You're welcome, glad it helped.

Return to “Sound”