No low frequencies on HP Envy (Beats Audio)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
YoloSnake

No low frequencies on HP Envy (Beats Audio)

Post by YoloSnake »

Hello, it's been a while since I installed Linux and, until now, I couldn't figure why I hear no low frequencies.
My laptop is a dual-booted HP Envy which originally came with Beats Audio that I successfully uninstalled from Windows. There are no sound problems while using Windows. In Linux I hear no bass at all, seems like frequencies under 100Hz are muted, the only way I could fix this with an EQ is in Banshee Player by boosting the lows but I have to keep the sound very low so it doesn't distort.

Anyone know how to fix this problem? I think it might be because my laptop has a built-in subwoofer that is not working without Beats Audio drivers (I don't have them on Linux), so it somehow routes the lows to the disabled subwoofer instead of the headphones?

Mint 18.2
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: No low frequencies on HP Envy (Beats Audio)

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don't thinlk there is a Linux driver for beats audio, but searching "ubuntu beats audio" got me this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... eakers_on/

It's an old solution but worth a look.

Note that step one says install hda-jack-retask. This is now included in the alsa-tools-gui package, which is the one you would install.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
YoloSnake

Post by YoloSnake »

I don't have the pins that were overridden in that guide.

And I don't want Beats drivers either.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

YoloSnake wrote:I don't have the pins that were overridden in that guide.

Then be specific about what you do want. You could also have thanked Rob for at least trying.

*PLONK*
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
YoloSnake

Post by YoloSnake »

catweazel wrote:
YoloSnake wrote:I don't have the pins that were overridden in that guide.

Then be specific about what you do want. You could also have thanked Rob for at least trying.

*PLONK*
Well I'm sorry if I sounded rude or smth, it was not my intent :D Any help is appreciated of course!
I thought it was clear from the question that I don't want Beats Audio but want to get bass in my headphones.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You may have uninstalled the WIndows software, that doesn't mean the Beats Audio hardware isn't still there.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
YoloSnake

Post by YoloSnake »

Hoser Rob wrote:You may have uninstalled the WIndows software, that doesn't mean the Beats Audio hardware isn't still there.
I uninstalled the drivers, that's right. In windows I have the clean sound.
How does this affect Linux which was installed after I deleted the drivers and the drivers are not even available for Linux?

I still don't have the described pins as in the tutorial.

Should I post a screenshot of the available pins?

Return to “Sound”