[SOLVED] Bluetooth Stuck on "Searching for devices"

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Satori
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Bluetooth Stuck on "Searching for devices"

Postby Satori » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi guys, I'm running on Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon with a brand new computer.

I've kept experiencing non-stop issues with Bluetooth throughout my years as a linux user. I am running a new system (from System76). While setting up the computer, I referenced this article in order to make my wireless headphones work:
https://erikdubois.be/installing-bose-q ... x-mint-18/

After following the steps above, bluetooth worked perfectly. The headphones were recognized and paired, and all was good. But today, for some unexplained reason, Bluetooth refuses to even recognize any devices, let alone pair with anything. I have both Blueman and the defailt Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2 bluetooth app.

Below are some screenshots. The first one is showing how the system is stuck searching for devices (through the default LM18.2 BT App). The second screenshot is from Blueman, after trying to "Set up new device."

Insight on how to fix this issue would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Satori on Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Bluetooth Stuck on "Searching for devices"

Postby catweazel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:53 pm

1) Update your kernel to the 4.11 series. You'll find it in Update Manager. Look in the View menu for Linux kernels.

2) Go to this page and download this file:

Code: Select all

linux-firmware_1.169_all.deb                       06-Oct-2017 10:28     39M

Open it from your file manager and install it.

3) Shut down completely and start the machine cold. Don't just reboot.
If your problem is fixed, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.

Satori
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Satori » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Thanks for the attempt. It didn't work, but I'd still appreciate input. I know that updating kernels in general should work, but in this case it didn't. First I tried updating the kernel to 4.11 through the Update Manager and shutting down completely but that didn't work. Then I tried your suggestion and I got this error:

Thanks again in advance for any other feedback.

catweazel
Level 10
Level 10

Postby catweazel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Ok, delete 1.169 and download it again. Alternatively, go back one version to 1.168 and try that.

Also, is your linux fully up to date? pulseaudio 1:8.0-0ubuntu3.4 was released in the last month and contains fixes for inoperative bluetooth audio, including bluetooth headsets.
If your problem is fixed, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.

Satori
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Satori » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:33 pm

That worked, thank you! I actually had a pending update for the firmware in the Update Manager (level 4) that, after being installed (and turned computer off/on) solved the BT issues. :wink:

catweazel
Level 10
Level 10

Postby catweazel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:52 pm

Satori wrote:That worked, thank you!

You're most welcome.

Please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.

Cheers.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”