Can't play webm

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FrustratedNoob

Can't play webm

Post by FrustratedNoob »

Hello Mintheads,

I can't figure out how to make Videos or VLC play webm files with sound. It plays the video part and gives me an error message every time.

When I try with VLC I get:

No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "VP90". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.
No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

When I try with Videos I get:

Videos requires to install plugins to play media files of the following type: audio/x-unknown decoder

Im using Mint 17.3 XFCE . Yes, I have Ubuntu restricted extras installed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FrustratedNoob

Re: Can't play webm

Post by FrustratedNoob »

Also...
When I use SoundConverter 2.0.4 (from the Mint repo) to try to turn them into mp3 files I often get:

Python (v2.7) requires to install plugins to play media files of the following type: audio/x-unknown decoder

and the resulting mp3 file 'contains no data'.
Last edited by FrustratedNoob on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I've heard mention that you need VLC 2.2 to play that audio, which is what ships with Mint 18. What VLC does 17 have?
FrustratedNoob

Post by FrustratedNoob »

I can't figure out how to tell what version from my computer. I only know to go to help>about vlc and it doesn't say anything useful on mine. Distrowatch says it comes with 2.2.6.

Also, a few minutes after my last post my update thingy magically came up and had a bunch of audio stuff to update. LAME, FFMPEG, stuff like that. I think it's all the stuff from the restricted extras I got from the Mint repo earlier. I thought maybe it'd work after that but it didn't. Oh well.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Weird, help->about in VLC lists the version on my system. Mint 18 has 2.2.2, so I can't see how Mint 17 has a later one unless you're using a PPA or manual install?

Enter this in a terminal and check the version number it says is installed.
apt-cache policy vlc

Return to “Sound”