cannot play .avi format

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pranay

cannot play .avi format

Post by pranay »

I cannot play .avi format in either x player or vlc.
What shall I do?
Please suggest me something.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
minitux

Re: cannot play .avi format

Post by minitux »

Code: Select all

sudo apt install mint-meta-codecs
?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: cannot play .avi format

Post by Hoser Rob »

You definitely should install mint-meta-codecs in Mint 18.x because it no longer comes with it installed by default as in 17.3 and earlier.

But, since VLC comes with its own codec library installed, mint-meta-codecs has no effect on it. So I'm not sure the codecs are the problem.

Is this ALL .avi files? BTW avi isn't a format, it's just a container. It can have a number of video/audio formats within but they're usually ASP/xvid format. I've seen avi files with AVC/x264 format video but that's a sign that whoever created it was clueless. You should never put AVC in an avi container.

So try installing mediainfo-gui, open a problem file with it, and post the results here in medianfo text mode via copy/paste.

Also give up some useful info ... copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Sound”