Linux Mint & pro audio interfaces in late 2017

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kris Pohl
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint & pro audio interfaces in late 2017

Post by Kris Pohl » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:05 am

Hi together!

First time posting and probably rather specific...I recently installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamonon my studio computer as a small private open source experiment. So far I am pretty amazed by how effortless everything works with every day tasks and it has pretty much replaced Windows/macOS for this but I'm struggling on the sound side of things:

Depending on which interface I use (Antelope Orion 32 and Lynx Hilo) I came across different errors. The Antelope appears in the sound settings but automatically puts out sound as 7.1 and does not seem to give me an option to set it to stereo or give me overall control. The sound put out on channels 1-8 is also very crackly and distorted but I'm not hitting 0 dBFS. This stays the same even when turned down. I'm pretty certain that this is the lack of drivers but it appears with its full name in the settings so I thought I'd ask. I found in the forum that release 18.3 seems to have a few issues with sound but then again other user seem to be ok.

The Hilo does not show up at all and so does not allow me to change any of the settings. Again - no Linux drivers.

My questions are:

- is it possible to use any of those interfaces for audio playback (and potentially recording) at all?

- if not is there a list of supported interfaces for Linux Mint?

- If I understand correctly a beta version of Reaper is currently in development? Also Harrison Mixbus is available for Linux. How do you use external plugins (if possible at all)?

Currently I'm not looking into fully replacing windows/macOS with Pro Tools as I run a commercial studio and people expect you to have specific software but I'd like to stay flexible...I saw there is an Ubuntu release especially for creative folks but for what I currently need that's probably overkill - to get started I'd rather stick to one distro for now.

Any help is much appreciated!

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Linux Mint & pro audio interfaces in late 2017

Post by Hoser Rob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:21 am

The only mention of Linux I could find on the antelopeaudio site involved Ubuntu 13.10, which is a bit too old for my liking. Bacwards compatibility doesn;t exist in Linux to any great extent.

I'd suggest the tech support of the companies you mention but don't expect great support.

Kris Pohl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kris Pohl » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:15 am

Yeah, I saw that too. It's a bit odd that there is so little support for Linux by the audio companies considering that there would be an opportunity streamlining Linux for audio use as well and not having to deal with the limitations of macOS/Windows anymore. Concerning the crackly sound - looks like I'm not the only one experiencing that...I'll try and install another soundcard and see if that changes anything.

Rocky Bennett
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rocky Bennett » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Audio in Linux works, but not very well. Here is a very brief explanation of how Linux audio works. http://tuxradar.com/content/how-it-work ... -explained

My experience with Linux audio is very deep and I have spent a few years experimenting with it. The bottom line is, Linux audio sucks. viewtopic.php?f=61&t=242331

Everyone in the Linux community recognizes the shortcomings of Linux audio but they seem unable to address it because of the monolithic structure of the Linux kernel. So I have to use Windows just to listen to a song file without all of the time distortions and the space smear that is inherent with Linux. But....

I LOVE LINUX. Oh well.

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:45 am

Rocky Bennett wrote:... I have to use Windows just to listen to a song file without all of the time distortions and the space smear that is inherent with Linux. ....
Actually, while I agree that there are support issues with some sound devices in Liinux, as is true in general, I wouldn't go THAT far. I use a Behringer external USB card for listening to tunes and it works brilliantly. I don't have any Windows anymore, but I'm getting just as good sound quality as I ever have or better. And you don't have to dick areound with WASAPI to avoid resampling in Linux with an external DAC, which is the kller.

While the basic DAC/ADC functions may work in Linux with some devices, the enhancements often don't. This seems to be pretty common with pro type devices.

Bottom line, if I wanted to do any real music production, I'd still have Windows. It's not a hardware issue so much as a software one. Ardour is the most often recommended Linux DAW and I strongly suspect that's because all the other ones are such a joke.

And BTW is you really think you can identify "time distortions" and "space smear" with your supposedly goldeen ears, yoyu are seriously kidding yourself. Did you know that so called wine experts cannot tell white from red in double blind testing?

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”