Plex ComSkip Redux

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Plex ComSkip Redux

Post by ralplpcr »

So I realize that perhaps this question better belongs in the PLEX forums, but I figured I'd also put it out here in case any fellow Mint users have any experience with this.

As a follow up to my previous thread: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=256195

A recent update to PLEX has introduced a new setting in the DVR functions - the ability to remove commercials.
DVRset.jpg
While this sounds great, there are 2 concerns I have:
  1. How accurate is it compared to ComSkip? I've got about 90% accuracy in commercial detection/removal right now based on my tweaked script file - - would using the built-in function give me any better? How about it's speed to process?
  2. I don't see an indication of whether this built-in function does anything to re-code the giant .TS files into anything smaller/more manageable? Automatic commercial removal would be great, but if I still have to go in & recode to MKV or MP4, it doesn't seem like it'd be much of a gain?
So has anybody out there tried it that might be able to answer my concerns? If so, how is the performance, and is it worth using vs my postprocessing script?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Plex ComSkip Redux

Post by ralplpcr »

FYI - Based on some digging through the PLEX forums, I've learned a couple of things:
  1. PLEX actually uses an instance of ComSkip to perform it's built-in commercial removal
  2. Accuracy seems to be roughly the same to what you'd expect from your own installed version
  3. The built-in function *does not* recode the recording to anything smaller - it only focuses on commercial removal.
  4. The optional Post Processing Script will run *after* the ComSkip - meaning that I could still call Handbrake to recode after ComSkip.
  5. The built-in function does not have any way of processing previously-made recordings. (My Post Processing Script can be manually run on any recording, if I so choose)
  6. The built-in function seems to have some glitches/audio sync errors still, indicating that it's not quite fine-tuned.
  7. Occasionally, the built-in function gets "locked" and cannot be turned off if enabled.
Since this is quite a new feature, only available since 2017-11-27, I suspect that it will undergo a good bit more "tweaking" in upcoming releases.

I'm leaning towards just sticking with my own already-tweaked & functional script, though I'd still like to hear others' opinions, if anybody has tried it?

Return to “Sound”