[SOLVED] Mic issue in Linux Mint 18.3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SJM

[SOLVED] Mic issue in Linux Mint 18.3

Post by SJM »

Hi all, thanks in advance for any help.

I'm struggling to make my microphone work on my headset. Whether or not I'm speaking into it, it produces continuous noise, like this:-

https://www.mediafire.com/file/26nilt1n ... +sound.ogg

(Sorry for using mediafire -- this forum won't accept a .ogg as a file attachment).

I'm quite new to Linux, and I don't know what I'm doing, but I did try to search for my problem before posting a question, and I think the output of pacmd -ls may be helpful? If so, then here it is:-

[Removed very long paste from terminal -- it was a red herring anyway]

S
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mic issue in Linux Mint 18.3

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please install Ubuntu kernel updater. With its help install highest version of kernel 4.10 series. Reboot and test
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
SJM

Post by SJM »

Thank you for responding. I was not able to find the Ubuntu kernel updater in Software Sources. System info confirms that I am using Linux Kernel 4.10.0-42-generic.
SJM

Post by SJM »

Sorry to bump a thread, but I'm still a bit stuck here. Is any further advice available?

Merry Christmas

S
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

There is no need to install kernel updater. Kernel updates are available in Update Manager. Open the Update Manager then click View, Linux kernels. I don't know if an updated kernel will fix that or not, but it's probably worth a try. Don't uninstall the older kernel you are using now, always keep at least one older kernel as a backup in case something goes wrong when you install a new kernel.

What kind of microphone are you using? Do you know the brand and model number? Many computer mics use cheap condensor elements that aren't terribly quiet to start with. But they get worse over time as the capacitors get leaky and DC voltage gets into places it shouldn't. Do you have another operating system on that computer you can try it in? Or another computer you could try your mic on? Or another mic you could try on your computer?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
SJM

Post by SJM »

Thank you for responding. Update manager has no newer kernels for me to install so I presume I have the latest. The mic is a Dynamode DH-878 headset; it works fine on my wife's laptop. I have borrowed her headset and plugged it into my Linux machine and it produces the same weird noise.

I should probably explain that the mic doesn't pick up my voice, at all, or any other sound. It just produces the noise.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Is your wife also running Mint 18.3? Or some other operating system? And do you have any other operating system installed on your computer? If so, does it work in the other operating system?

It might be good to have more information about your computer. Open a terminal, maximize it to avoid cut off lines, then enter inxi -Fxz. Copy/paste the output of that command into your next post here.

Most of the information you posted in your first post probably won't help solve the problem. What you should post when you have a problem like this is the output of inxi -Fxz, and if more information is needed, you will probably be asked for the output of a specific command. Most of us will just skip over all that stuff that you posted. Information overload!

I'm guessing that you do not have PulseAudio Volume Control installed? If you do, it should be in the Sound & Video Menu. If not, use Synaptic or Software Manager to install pavucontrol. That will give you PulseAudio Volume Control, and you should try messing with the settings there.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
SJM

Post by SJM »

Thank you for responding.

Code: Select all

stuart@stuart-LinuxMint ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: stuart-LinuxMint Kernel: 4.10.0-42-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME A320M-K v: Rev X.0x
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 0902 date: 09/08/2017
CPU:       Quad core AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 24752
           clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 1550 MHz 2: 1550 MHz 3: 1550 MHz
           4: 1550 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA Device 128b bus-ID: 25:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.90 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 1457
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 27:00.3
           Card-2 NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 25:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-42-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM43217 802.11b/g/n driver: wl bus-ID: 21:00.0
           IF: wlp33s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: f000 bus-ID: 23:00.0
           IF: enp35s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-) ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: N/A size: 256.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 227G used: 16G (8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.52GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: N/A mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:52C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info:      Processes: 209 Uptime: 6:39 Memory: 1566.6/7981.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
This is a pure Linux Mint machine -- it's never had any other operating system on it and it doesn't dual boot. I decided to quit Windows for good, I ordered this machine and I installed Mint on it completely clean from scratch. My wife runs Windows.

I have fiddled with the settings in Pavucontrol and am now able to turn down the noise (yay!) by reducing front mic input volume. It was maxed out.

Unfortunately the computer still doesn't recognise any input from the mic, so turning down the noise doesn't solve the problem (boo).
SJM

Post by SJM »

Oh, that's interesting, it says I have Mint 18.2 up. I thought I'd installed 18.3.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Well, I wish I had good news for you. I don't see anything in your inxi output that was of concern. I did some googling and searching on the forums, and found one post that may be of interest to you:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=255330

What may be of interest there is alsa-tools-gui, specifically hdajackretask. Apparently the jacks can be configured to serve several different functions. If your jacks are not configured correctly, that could very well cause the noise you are having. Worth a try. Let me know if that fixes it.
SJM

Post by SJM »

Thank you. For anyone following along, I typed in terminal:-

sudo apt-get install alsa-tools-gui

Then I typed:-

hdajackretask

This brings up the menu jimallyn is talking about. I have not finished trying all the combinations yet.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

If you have noise and no sound, it could be the wrong input selected. It could be a mic in socket with nothing plugged in or something plugged in that is broken or not fitting. The headset you mentioned has stereo plugs. They might not be pushed in far enough or you have the headphone in the mic socket. There is also a volume dial that could be turned the wrong way.

On a similar headset, the microphone does not switch on until moved down to the right spot.

I used to have problems with sound prior to 18.3 and had to run pacmd to make the sound pick up new devices.
SJM

[Solved] Mic issue in Linux Mint 18.3

Post by SJM »

In the end, the solution was to buy a USB microphone. I simply couldn't make the jack work.

I suspect the problem may have had something to do with dual monitors one using the HDMI cable, but I just couldn't figure it out.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

SJM wrote:Whether or not I'm speaking into it, it produces continuous noise, like this:-
https://www.mediafire.com/file/26nilt1n ... +sound.ogg
I couldn't play that file (3 programs) - does it sound like feedback or like "white noise"?
Suggest this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol qasmixer
then run both/either of those and check settings which might result in feedback (or noise).
In the end, the solution was to buy a USB microphone.
Heh - I just saw that under my typing...your ORIGINAL post should be edited to say "Solved" or it won't show it in the forum list.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
SJM

Re: [SOLVED] Mic issue in Linux Mint 18.3

Post by SJM »

Oh, sorry. Fixed.

Return to “Sound”