Volume too low on a HP laptop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mazerunner

Volume too low on a HP laptop

Post by mazerunner »

I run Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" - Cinnamon (64-bit) on a HP laptop.

I have noticed that the volume is clearly lower than it used to be when I had Windows 10 on the laptop. I searched the net and I see that it is a common problem. I went through some threads and tried a couple of things out but I can't seem to solve the problem.

It's exactly like this:
loggerjack wrote:I can increase the sound volume by moving the output slider to 153% in sound settings, but the slider resets as soon as I adjust it.
I started that alsamixer in a terminal and everything seems to be set at maximum volume.

Do you think there is a way to get my volume up like it used to be under Windows?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Volume too low on a HP laptop

Post by Pjotr »

Install pavucontrol and try that. In the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
Then:

Code: Select all

pavucontrol
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mazerunner

Re: Volume too low on a HP laptop

Post by mazerunner »

I did as you instructed. Apparently, the last version of pavucontrol was already installed.

Now, with this interface I see in Ouput Devices > Speakers that the volume is set at 100%. I can slide it up to 153% and then things start to sound loud enough. But when I use the volume +/- buttons on my laptop, once I bring it below 100% I cannot get it back above that limit. It stops at 100% and I need to return to pavucontrol to get it once again higher than 100%.

One more thing that I have noticed. I am watching a youtube video in FireFox and there, in pavucontrol, on tab "Playback", there appears a sliding bar for "Firefox: Audiostream". Again, I can slide it up to 153%, but then, as soon as a click in youtube and move the video bar to some other spot, the sound is automatically set το 100%.

Meaning, using pavucontrol I can push the volume beyond 100% but it won't stay there. Also, I notice that when the sound is loud enough, it is not totally clear. Someone might not even notice, but I have a keen ear when it comes to sounds and music.

But, shouldn't that 100% be set to a higer point so that it would be enough by itself and we wouldn't need to try and surpass it?

Using a descent pair of headphones the level of the sound (the feeling of it) seems to be higher, at a descent level to care for your ears eventhough I'd prefer it higher so that I can lower it myself, for maybe I'm listening to someone wispering and I need to make out what he is saying.

But I think I can be happy using the headphones. It's the speakers that are kind of too low.

Return to “Sound”