Any Guitarists out there?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
McDuff

Any Guitarists out there?

Post by McDuff »

Originally posted in the Newbie section but got no replies so I'm trying here.

"Hi. I'm running Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit. I'm trying to get a program running using WINE & I think I'm close but need a hand over the last bit. The program is called Vyzex & is used for Line6 guitar effects pedals. I've got the program installed OK & it's communicating with the pedal but I can't get any sound. The pedal is in effect a MIDI sequencer. The screen shows a graphic of the pedal & controls & I can see any adjustments I make on the pedal showing on the screen. In addition to connecting via USB, I've also tried a jack connection directly to the audio-in on my soundcard but it makes no difference. Maybe something to do with getting the right ports(?) but that's a little beyond me at the moment. Thanks to anyone who can help but please be gentle with a newbie!!"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Any Guitarists out there?

Post by Flemur »

Edit:
Originally posted in the Newbie section but got no replies so I'm trying here.
You might try editing your original post and changing the title: it doesn't sound like a request for help.
"No audio with wine and line6 guitar effects" might be better.
/Edit
McDuff wrote:The program is called Vyzex & is used for Line6 guitar effects pedals.
These?
http://line6.com/pedals/
Aren't they just boxes that go between the guitar and an amp?
The pedal is in effect a MIDI sequencer.
??? So it's not an effects pedal? Or a USB hookup to control the external, physical pedal from the computer with MIDI commands?

Do you get any sound at all from any wine application?
The screen shows a graphic of the pedal & controls & I can see any adjustments I make on the pedal showing on the screen"
I don't really understand your question, but you might try -
- "winecfg" to set and test your 'wine' sound.
- "pavucontrol" to make sure pulseaudio hasn't stupidly muted everything, as it is prone to do.
- "qasmixer" (need to install) replaces the primitive alsamixer.

Package "guitarx" is cool and runs without "jack". "hydrogen" is a good (and jack-free!) drum machine, and can use your own samples.

"rakarrack" is similar (to guitarx) but requires 'jack'. Jack is a PITA, and from what I've read jack and pulseaudio don't like each other much.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Just exactly which Line6 effects pedal do you have? I did a little googling on Vyzex and it doesn't sound like a MIDI sequencer to me, it sounds more like software to control electronic musical instruments and such, possibly over MIDI, but I couldn't verify that anywhere. What more can you tell us about this?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
McDuff

Post by McDuff »

Sorry for any confusion. I'm trying to use a Line 6 Pocket Pod (which is described in the company blurb as a Midi controller) The PocketPod is then connected via USB & Vyzex software puts a graphic of the pedal & it's settings on the screen & these can then be controlled using the computer instead of altering the dials & buttons. The settings can then be saved & reused as necessary. I haven't used WINE for any other application so I don't know if the sound issue is limited to Vyzex or not. When I was using Windows, I still had to use a jack lead from the box to the PC to get any sound. The computer is detecting the USB input & showing the graphic (including letting me change the setting) There's just no sound. Hope this extra info helps. TIA.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Hmmm. As I understand it, the audio goes into the box, gets processed, and comes out of the box. It doesn't go into the computer at all. The computer only controls what the box does to the audio on its way through. So, if you leave the box unconnected from the computer, plug your guitar into it, and plug the output of the box into your amplifier, do you get sound? And what happens if you then plug the box into your computer?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
McDuff

Post by McDuff »

jimallyn wrote:Hmmm. As I understand it, the audio goes into the box, gets processed, and comes out of the box. It doesn't go into the computer at all. The computer only controls what the box does to the audio on it's way through. So, if you leave the box unconnected from the computer, plug your guitar into it, and plug the output of the box into your amplifier, do you get sound? And what happens if you then plug the box into your computer?
Looks like I'm over-estimating what the computer actually does. If I use a normal guitar lead to connect to an amp, everything works as it should. When I connect the box to the computer I get no sound. The box has a USB which is plugged into the computer (and can be seen on the screen to be connecting & transferring data. It also has mini jack socket marked "Direct Out/Phones which I have connected to the Aux In of the computer sound card. I have tried it both with & without the jack connection in case the sound data is being handled via the USB connection. Either way, no sound output form the computer speakers.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The only entries for Vyzex in the wine app database got good results but they're almost 10 years old ...

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=12099

... so aren't relevant for newer releases because there's actually very little backwards compatiblity in Linux.

Tried the Wine forums?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Never owned that device but I've owned a lot of guitar devices that I have got to work with Linux and WINE. I found by adding the NEWEST Stable WINE I've had better luck with all device I own. WINEBUS was the biggest thing that got me up and going. My last problem was an Atomic Ampifire that uses HID for the USB interface. Below was the fix for it

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=258000

https://wiki.winehq.org/Hid
McDuff

Post by McDuff »

I now think that the problem may be something to do with my set-up rather than the software that I am trying to use.

I've found that if I cannot open System Settings>Hardware>Sound while I have a jack plugged into the soundcard input(s), Nothing happens. However, the panel opens with no jack plugged in but then I have two different outcomes when reconnecting. When I open the panel with nothing plugged in, the Output tab shows "(Play sound through) Analogue output Built-in Audio but the Input tab (Record sound from) box is empty.

If I then plug the jack into the soundcard, if I use the blue Line In socket, the Sound panel immediately closes. If I plug into the pink (Mic) socket, the Input tab stays the same but the Output tab changes to "Rear Microphone Built-in Audio" but the "Settings for Selected Device" controls are greyed out.

Does this mean there is a problem with the way the soundcard is configured?

Return to “Sound”