Problem with left speaker - no sound

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GaryD
Level 2
Level 2

Problem with left speaker - no sound

Post by GaryD »

I'm using a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard with my Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya 64bit 4.10.0-42-generic.

I'm using ALSA for my onboard audio chip Realtek ALC888.

For the past couple years, I worked around this issue by using an RCA Audio coupler and connected it to the right speaker connector of my 2.1 speaker system - to get the left and rihgt speaker working.

But now, that speaker is busted and I have to use a new speaker sytem, but the thing is - the new speaker has no RCA connector. It's an ALTEC LANSING VS2621 Speaker, so can't get around the issue by using the RCA coupler.

I tried hard to troubleshoot the issue, but still failed. I've tried adjusting all the volume using ALSAMIXER from commandline, but still no LEFT SPEAKER coming.

When I TEST SOUND, there is no FRONT LEFT and SUB-WOOFER, only FRONT RIGHT works. I've tried all the following options:

- Analog Surround 2.1 Output
- Analog Surround 4.0 Output
- Analog Surround 5.0 Output
- Analog Surround 7.1 Output
- Analog Surround 4.1 Output
- Analog Surround 5.1 Output
- Analog Stereo Output

In addtion to the above options, I've noticed that SUB-WOOFER control is grayed out.

Same issue when using the HEADPHONES BUILT-IN AUDIO - still no left sound.

Anyone encountered this issue and solved it? Please share your ideas and how to fix it.

What I've read and tried:

- viewtopic.php?t=178322
- https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1654603

REFERENCE IMAGES:

My workaround, when old speaker is still working:

My New Speaker's Connection

My onboard audio is properly detected

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CPU: i7Core 920, Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Graphic Card: GTX 260
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Problem with left speaker - no sound

Post by catweazel »

[quote="GaryD"]
My New Speaker's Connection

That's not a picture of the connector, it's a picture of a cable so it isn't possible to tell you what kind of cable you might consider. Also, your stereo output is actually mono. Your adapter in the second picture is pumping sound out of the right channel only, the left channel isn't connected. So instead of stereo you're getting mono out of two speakers. The problem isn't going to be easily fixed because it's a frankenstein setup that you've created. Additionally there are some severe twists in your cables that could cause mechanical damage to the wires inside.

Just because the card is properly detected it doesn't follow that the output is working. You've probably got a physical connection problem somewhere in between the output from the machine and the output of the driving speaker. Alternatively the output of your sound chip is b0rked. You will need to troubleshoot it yourself. The only advice that I can give that's worthwhile is that you consider buying a really cheap pair of stereo speakers and plug those into your machine's output. If both speakers work then he problem is in your current setup. If one speaker is still dead then it's your machine.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
GaryD
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GaryD »

The speaker is fine, also my cable connection. I'm sure it is working - how sure am I? Because it works well in my Windows Instance and when hooked to my mobile phone. So speaker and cable connection isn't the problem.

Any more ideas?
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

Hi I am about to start a post regarding a similar problem (plus something else) that I have but with a specific Sound Card*, which is old and it's problem is from long data.
Try this (which was a good result to me) in terminal or console type "alsamixer" and then go to where it says "Multy Tr" (multy track internal clock) I changed the values to 44100, but to keep it "stored" you should try to open a new tab and do "sudo alsactl store", it my case it worked for only a day, but you might be luckier than me.

I took this information after a long search from here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/50067/h ... r-settings

*My Card is VT1723 (via tremor) so as I have one more issue I think it would be better to open a new topic.
GaryD
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GaryD »

go to where it says "Multy Tr" (multy track internal clock)
I'm not able to see that settings when running

Code: Select all

alsamixer
Am I missing some steps?
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

Hello , I am not an expert at all, did you tried when running "alsamixer" move with the left -right arrow (you will see highlighted in red color the names of each colum), if you move to the right you will see other columns.. maybe it's silly from to say this, but it is just a clue.If you don't see "multy tr" I don't know what else to say.
GaryD
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GaryD »

I tried hard. No such thing when in alsamixer
neoselen

Post by neoselen »

if you still have satellite speakers of the altec lansing vs2621 i would have help from you.

i debunked the pcb
alteclansing_vs2621.pdf
, here is the schematic of the subwoofer.

in order to transform this 2.1 into an independant active subwoofer i really need two pictures of the board that is inside these speakers (in order to see copper tracks i need these photos to be heavily backlighted). hope you still have these little speakers :(
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

If it's only one channel that is not working regardless of what you connect, i.e. headphones or speakers I'd be seriously considering the sound card at fault if you've (obviously) tried the various software solutions. Out of curiosity can you set your output to Mono and see if that has an effect?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
neoselen

Post by neoselen »

v2 of the file
alteclansing_vs2621_2.pdf
, sorry for the mistakes on the previous version :oops:

if any can help me i would really appreciate :)

i can't help unless you have pics of the volume pcb inside these little speakers :'(
OppositeCube

Post by OppositeCube »

If you have sound only on one side, you may have the same problem I had. Fortunately, it's incredibly easy to fix (in most cases). And I can't understand why the problem exists in the first place.

Open Terminal.

Type:

Code: Select all

alsamixer
Stretch the window out so you can see all the bar graphs. If the graphs show "sound" only on one side, simply use the arrow keys to move to the appropriate graph and use the up arrow key to increase the volume. Keep hitting the up key until both sides are at 100%, then use the down arrow key to bring both sides down into the white area. If you don't know which bar graph to change, change them all, it only takes a few seconds. Which settings matter depends on your sound system -- how many speakers you have.

Open "Sound" in System Settings. Find the "Test Speakers" button (probably under the Hardware tab). Click on both speakers to make sure you have sound. You may have to set your input and output devices to the correct settings for your sound device. Close "Sound" and in Terminal hit <esc>, which exits alsamixer, and then close Terminal.

Hope it works for you.

Return to “Sound”