mint 18.3 sound not xfered from input to spkers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
old DOS N XP user

mint 18.3 sound not xfered from input to spkers

Post by old DOS N XP user »

SOLVED THX!!! :)

i have just installed 18.3 on a Dell latitude computer which had XP on it.. i cant seem to get the sound to go through the sound card.. I can see the meter move on the input screen but no sound comes out the speakers..When i use a USB head set and select it vola i hear myself.. but NOT the sound coming in the 'line in' even though i see it moving the meter.. I can further record the sound using audicity and play it back but not hear it direct! I want to use 'sound in' to hear my ham radio and to use the mic out to xmit vioce..that is the ultimate goal here. This setup worked with winXP and Hamradio Deluxe pgm..BTW Mint doesn't recognize the serial port on the computer either.. which Ham Radio Deluxe uses to control the xciver. HRD appears to run under WINE but no serial port is seen. One issue at a time though.. How do I get the sound to 'pass through' the card to the speakers and the other output ports on the card? (This is a built on the motherbord sound card)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: mint 18.3 sound not xfered from input to spkers

Post by jimallyn »

If you haven't already, install pavucontrol, which will show up in your Sound & Video menu as PulseAudio Volume Control. Set it up to enable "monitor of" whatever that input is called.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
old DOS N XP user

??? I dont understand. I have pulse audio installed and can't find an enable or disable for the monitor control..the level seems to be set at 100%. But i have discovered other plbms! It would seem that I don't have any drivers for the hardware! The CD wont write either... it does not recognize that it is a read/write! (no write buttons on the create CD screen and the icon for it is marked as read only) I think that means that my drivers as a whole are missing or incomplete... BTW i got the model of the Dell wrong it is a Dimension (desktop) not a latitude (which is a laptop)(i have both).
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Click on the Input Devices tab in PulseAudio Volume Control. There is a drop-down menu at the bottom where it says Show:. Enable Monitors there.

I guess we better see which sound device and drivers you have. Open a terminal, maximize it to avoid cut off lines, then enter inxi -Fxz. Copy/paste the output of that command into your next post here.

In Linux, most drivers are built in to the kernel, so you generally don't have to worry about drivers. Ever. And if you do need to worry about drivers, you will most likely find the appropriate driver in the Driver Manager.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
old DOS N XP user

:D , I found it I had to load QasMIxer and That let me find the pass thru and kill the mute!.. now, on to the other plbms...I
need 2 find a driver for the old serial port.. or maybe some means of letting HRD know it is there, so as to control the radio. XP took care of this seamlessly and it just worked, period. (HRD= program [Ham Radio Deluxe) a radio control pgm that runs in WinXP and seems 2 run in Wine but when I look for the serial ports to connect with the radio it says I have none while running under Wine.)

Return to “Sound”