Bluetooth headphones won't switch to a2dp

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Thomas A

Bluetooth headphones won't switch to a2dp

Post by Thomas A »

I've connected multiple set of bluetooth headphones to my pc. They start in headset HSP/HFP (low quality) mode. However, opening the cinnamon sound settings and trying to switch to A2DP (high quality) output doesn't have the desired effect. The menu choice appears to be selected, but the "test sound" window doesn't offer "front left" and "front right" and any audio from the headphones sounds low quality. I've installed blueman, which seems to successfully change the output profile to A2DP. There are also some commands you could run in a terminal to achieve this A2DP profile.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it due to blueberry or some other cinnamon package? Is it worth complaining to devs about this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Bluetooth headphones won't switch to a2dp

Post by JeremyB »

I won't do any good to contact Linux Mint Devs as the issue is from upstream in Ubuntu. There is a workaround

Code: Select all

wget https://gist.githubusercontent.com/pylover/d68be364adac5f946887b85e6ed6e7ae/raw/bbba417cae1419ed35b79c1ac400c7197a12e2fc/a2dp.py

Code: Select all

chmod +x a2dp.py
After connecting to your headphones, do ./a2dp.py if you have more than 1 bluetooth device paired, you will have to select the headphones in a list. You can do the same in Blueman, connect to headset, right click on headset and blueman got to audio profile and set to off, then disconnect, reconnect and set audio profile to A2DP

Return to “Sound”