Cannot control speaker sound volume on ux550vd

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FrEaKmAn
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot control speaker sound volume on ux550vd

Post by FrEaKmAn »

Hello

I just installed linux mint 18.3 on zenbook ux550vd. I'm facing a problem with control volume levels as it's always at max. If I change the volume settings under system settings (or with sound applet), it does not change the sound level. When I use the headphones, everything works. I tried to lower the volume with alsamixer and it works great, but volume gets reset at reboot.

I tried reinstalling pulseaudio, also tried deleting ~/.config/pulse without any success. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cannot control speaker sound volume on ux550vd

Post by powerwagon75 »

When I started using Mint 18, I too had the full volume blast at login.

You could try this.. it worked for another member here as well (I'm on Mint 18, they were on Mint 18.2, so hopefully will work in 18.3.) I had searched around on the 'net and found it, and tailored the dB levels to my liking. Created a small file, named Startup_Sound.sh, in my /Home directory, and put the contents in the "code" below section inside that file.

The file makes some minor adjustments to alsa's amixer settings, and contains the following:

Code: Select all

#bin/bash
#
#Set Master volume to a sane level
#amixer set 'Master',0  20% unmute
#amixer set 'Master',0  20% unmute
#
amixer -c 0 sset Line,0 65%,65% unmute
#
amixer -c 0 -- sset Master playback -32.25dB
#
#Set Front to zero
amixer -c 0 -- sset Front playback -32.25dB
#
#Set Surround to zero
amixer -c 0 -- sset Surround playback -32.25dB
#
#Set Center to zero
amixer -c 0 -- sset Center playback -32.25dB
#
(You can experiment with the -32.25dB numbers to find a level you like. You likely don't need to fuss with all of them if you don't have those speaker options..I just did it that way to minimize my editing of the file initially to see if it worked, and didn't bother to experiment/clean it up to see if only the master needed to be adjusted for it to work.)

I then went to: Menu > Preferences > Startup Applications, and added it to that location:
Startup_Sound_Level.png
It's not the greatest fix I'm sure, but it works. Your results may vary, but its been working every time since I've implemented it.

Regards,

Eric
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu

Return to “Sound”