[solved] Help fixing my soundcard drivers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mm1992
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] Help fixing my soundcard drivers

Post by mm1992 »

I installed the latest version of cinnamon, and in the processed it detected all of my drivers properly as far as sound went - I had the analog outputs, as well as the HDMI outputs for both my integrated video and my video card. Perfect. I set up the analog output to be 5.1 output to match my speakers... and it worked for the front left/right and the surround left/right, but the center and the sub were not working. I googled around a little, and found this tutorial:

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1236

Seeing that it listed that the ALC892 has issues (the chip on my motherboard) I went ahead and followed the instructions. Except on reboot, all of my devices disappeared (I only see dummy output). Crap. Now i'm in over my head as far as undoing that.

I saw in another thread they were asking for the output of "inxi -Axx" That is:

Audio: Card-1 NVIDIA GK106 HDMI Audio Controller
bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0e0b
Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
bus-ID: 00:03.0 chip-ID: 8086:0c0c
Card-3 Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio Controller
bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:8ca0
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mm1992
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Help fixing my soundcard drivers

Post by mm1992 »

From this thread: viewtopic.php?t=188943

Code: Select all

$ sudo aptitude --purge reinstall linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils linux-image-`uname -r` linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r` libasound2
worked at getting the devices recognized again. Now the problem is system sounds do not play. I can test the 5.1 using online audio files, I can listen to music, and all that, its just the system sounds and the system speaker test that don't work.

Oh, and I figured out the issue with my center channel/sub was a cable that got knocked loose at somepoint when I was installing linux... oops!

edit- viewtopic.php?t=220452

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libcanberra-pulse
that fixed the system sounds issue. Looks like its fixed.

Return to “Sound”