[Solved] Sound always max at boot

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Peterjack

[Solved] Sound always max at boot

Post by Peterjack »

Hi all- I've tried multiple searches to see if I could find something on this with no luck so far. Any ideas welcome. I was running Mint Sonya 18.2 and as it should, it remembered my last sound setting at boot. After upgrading to Sylvia 18.3 the sound is always at maximum when I boot. The sound is generic Mint except that I added the Pulse Audio Equalizer package (back in 18.2 and things worked fine).

Any ideas much appreciated, it can be startling when it's quiet and the welcome blasts into the room.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Sound always max at boot after upgrade 18.2 to 18.3

Post by powerwagon75 »

Have a try at this and see if it will work for you:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=260564#p1407384

Regards,

Eric
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
Peterjack

Post by Peterjack »

@Eric Thanks for the reply and I gave it a whirl. First I #'d out Front, Center, Rear (laptop has only front stereo) using your code leaving only Master. There was no folder named hmix in my Home, so I created SoundStart and put it there. It was clearly recognized as a terminal command file based on icon. No luck. I then removed # from the Front line and tried again. No luck. Thanks for the idea, and if I made an error you see please let me know. -Pete
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Pete,

Did you make the file back to original, as it was before any changes and try? Also double-check your start up programs section to ensure its pointing to the right file. (The hmlx in my example is the user folder in /home... ensure your *.sh file is in the home directory you’re logging in with.

Eric
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
Peterjack

Post by Peterjack »

@Eric- Since you took time to reply with another suggestion I took time to try it. This time I put Sound.sh intact- just as copied from Select All- in pete/home root folder and I used your instructions to add a startup program and browsed to it- no mistake. Still no luck, but thanks! I have zero ideas and will try all.
Peterjack

Post by Peterjack »

I am still hoping for more ideas, this is not solved. Sound was normal at 18.2 Sonya, always max at boot with 18.3 Sylvia. 12 Gb ram, iCore7 dual boot laptop.

It turns out to be the default file setting from the very end of this file where Pulse Audio Equalizer saves my settings (edit as root):
/home/username/.config/pulse/default.pa

Near the very bottom I changed this line from 65536 to 35536- gives me about 60% volume on boot.
set-sink-volume alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo 35536

Return to “Sound”