Microphone integrated in headphones is not recognized

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MasterJd90

Microphone integrated in headphones is not recognized

Post by MasterJd90 »

Hello

I have some new headphones that work well, but the integrated microphone is not recognized.

I tested the headphones on different windows machines and the integrated microphone works correctly.

in my machine I also have windows 10 installed from the factory and I have it for cases like this, I tried and the headphones and the microphone works, but I must indicate that I connected (headphones with integrated microphone) so that the microphone is recognized.

I have a single port jack that supports audio and microphone.

In the audio configuration, i only see the integrated microphone of the notebook.

These are some data of my machine:

Code: Select all

System: Host: master-N551JK Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: N551JK v: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: N551JK.203 date: 06/10/2014
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 19954
           clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 2500 MHz 2: 2500 MHz 3: 2542 MHz 4: 2508 MHz 5: 2500 MHz 6: 2500 MHz
           7: 2511 MHz 8: 2462 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00: 02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 850M] bus-ID: 01: 00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev, vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: DRI Table Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Table 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Intel 8 Series / C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00: 1b.0
           Intel Xeon Card-2 E3-1200 v3 / 4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00: 03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-53-generic
Network: Card-1: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 04: 00.0
           IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111 / 8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 05: 00.1
           IF: enp5s0f1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (2.6% used) ID-1: / dev / sda model: HGST_HTS541010A9 size: 1000.2GB
           Optical: / dev / sr0 model: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E2 S rev: 1.00 dev-links: cdrom, cdrw, dvd, dvdrw
           Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r, cd-rw, dvd-r, dvd-ram state: running
Partition: ID-1: / size: 611G used: 21G (4%) fs: ext4 dev: / dev / sda8
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: / dev / sda7
RAID: No RAID devices: / proc / mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 60.0C mobo: N / A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1900
Info: Processes: 263 Uptime: 41 min Memory: 2066.7 / 7865.8MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35

Someone can help me, I do not know if I need to edit any configuration file or what I have to do to use my microphone, thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Microphone integrated in headphones is not recognized

Post by kukamuumuka »

Is microphone muted?

alsamixer
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "MasterJd90",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

1.) Microphone: Definitely, check your sound options to see if the microphone is muted.

Recommend installing "pulse audio volume control" and "qasmixer" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

FYI: There are some really nice graphical (GUI) programs for sound that start with "Qas", like the fantastic "Qasmixer", in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) that you can install and use. Sound "Mixers" can be a little confusing if you are not familiar with them. If you bring up "Qasmixer" and make it fullscreen, on the right side you will have mixer devices where you can control your system sound. If you do not see the mixer devices, hit "F6". Make sure the microphone button in the lower right is enabled, and check to see that all capture and microphone options are enabled and at least halfway up. If you have more than one microphone attached you should see more than one mic option at the bottom. The mixer item "sysdefault" will show all installed sound card devices, and you will have various options to adjust various volume controls using "sliders" which you can turn off and on using the "dot" below the volume slider. There are also various other check boxes below that you can use, and depending upon your sound card(s) that sometimes includes headphone checkboxes and or sliders as well, like "Headphone Jack Sense".

The applications included are:
- qasconfig - browser for the alsa configuration tree
- qashctl - mixer for alsa's high level control interface
- qasmixer - desktop mixer with features similar to alsamixer

Qasmixer is a desktop mixer application for alsa's "simple mixer interface" and offers features similar to alsamixer. it also features a sytem tray icon with basic mixer functionality.

2.) You have a dual video card system Intel and Nvidia. Your system is using the Intel and you might find that installing and using the Nvidia GeForce GTX 850M video driver performs better.
Graphics: Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00: 02.0
Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 850M] bus-ID: 01: 00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev, vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: DRI Table Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Table 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
NVIDIA: how to install the latest video card drivers (great Linux website)
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/12

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MasterJd90

Post by MasterJd90 »

Hello everyone.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I made the suggested checks, and the system only found the integrated microphone of my laptop and works well, only appreciate additional options when connecting my HDMI monitor, but not when connecting my headphones (quamixed, alsamixer .. and the sound configuration of the system) .

for this reason I discard that the microphone is muted, and I think my problem is that the operating system "has not realized that I have a microphone in the headphones", because the microphone works with my cell phone and windows :(.

On the other hand, regarding the suggestion of my nvidia card, I will try again the currently driver, fortunately I already have it installed, but I decided to work the free version because the proprietary was not compatible with an application that I use called flux, which helps to take care of my eyes, and it was not compatible with the office emulator either. And the free offers me more resolution options to use the laptop screen (16: 9)

What other configuration can I check to make my headphones compatible with linux mint?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "MasterJd90",

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

- Do you know that "redshift" comes installed with Linux Mint 18.3 right? It is just as good or better than "f.lux". There are also other apps available for this. There are also a fair amount of posts in this forum on this topic.

- Installing the Nvidia driver and the Nvidia settings utility will give you a fair amount of options.

- It would help if you provide a fullscreen screenshot of QasMixer with the headset plugged in on the "sysdefault" mixer option.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MasterJd90

Post by MasterJd90 »

Hello Phd21

here are my images, with the headphones connected

with the mixer device "hw", and the "HDA Intel HDMI" card shows the same as the mixer device sysdefault

invalid argument is shown with and without the connected headphones

What other information would be useful to diagnose?

My jack is shared for microphones and headphones, I got a converter to open an audio cable and a microphone cable (green and red like the old machines), I connected only the red one and it did not work either

As additional information, the headphones have their own volume control and an additional USB cable to turn on light (I think they are gamer style), I'm worried that that has something to do, although if the cell phone and widnows recognizes it without any type of driver It should not be important.

On the other hand, I will use redshift to take advantage of the benefits of my graphic card :D with Nvidia driver
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "MasterJd90",

Nice screenshots, unfortunately, you did not provide the qasmixer in fullscreen on the "sysdefault" mixer with the headset plugged in?
MasterJd90

Post by MasterJd90 »

Hello phd21

In the process of attention the NVDIA test suggestion, I noticed that driver-manager was no longer in administration, nor in preferences, nor system configuration, nor with a command that I saw in the forum similar to "gksudo driver-manager". I returned the cinnamon to factory, and everything went into chaos, the video card started to work very, very badly, so I decided to migrate to 18.3 to have everything in order.

I am using redShirt and it goes very well, the system already detects a bass baffle that came with my machine, but not the microphone of my headphones, I forward the system information and the image in fullscreen, although I see it the same, I'm not sure understand if this graph that I send is what you need to be able to help me, because it is the one that shows the least things

System:    Host: master-N551JK Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: N551JK v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: N551JK.203 date: 10/06/2014
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 19952
           clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 801 MHz 2: 813 MHz 3: 893 MHz
           4: 941 MHz 5: 800 MHz 6: 801 MHz 7: 800 MHz 8: 938 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 850M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia
           tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 05:00.1
           IF: enp5s0f1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (1.1% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS541010A9 size: 1000.2GB temp: 37C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 611G used: 6.4G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda8
           ID-2: /boot size: 454M used: 68M (16%) fs: ext3 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda7
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 56.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:49C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1800
Info:      Processes: 275 Uptime: 35 min Memory: 2516.4/7864.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (sudo) inxi: 2.2.35
I have not managed to get other headphones with microphone to rule out that the ones I have are the problematic, it would be a shame because they are very good, An additional fact is that in the volume control they can turn off or on, but when I connect them to the PC this functionality it does not work, I'm worried that this small volume control and ignition requires some kind of driver that linux does not know
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "MasterJd90",

That screenshot is very dark and there should be more options, at least as many as your other screenshots of the other mixer types.

FYI: do not use sudo or run as root console terminal commands like "inxi -Fxzd" unless requested to do so.

Regarding the "headset with mic" and its single connection issues, did you have to install any drivers in MS Windows? If yes, then that could be a problem. Do you have a link to that headset, perhaps an Amazon.com link?

As of now I am out of ideas, perhaps someone else in the forum can offer suggestions. I know that there are a lot of other headphones with microphones that do work well with Linux and Linux Mint. I use a very low budget stereo headset with microphone that has separate connections for the audio and mic and it works fairly well; the sound would be much better with a better headset. I would need a special cable (low cost) for this headset to combine the stereo connector and the mic connector into one combo stereo mic connector for the input you have.

Amazon.com: StarTech.com Headset adapter for headsets with separate headphone / microphone plugs - 3.5mm 4 position to 2x 3 position 3.5mm M/F: Home Audio & Theater
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-hea ... B004SP0WAQ

Perhaps a screenshot showing "HW" options for the first HDMI sound card ? Perhaps that combo mic jack is controlled by the HDMI sound settings...

Good luck ...

Regards,
Phil
QasMixer1.jpg
MasterJd90

Post by MasterJd90 »

Hello

Thanks for the collaboration

I checked in windows and do not need to install drivers, because I connect to the jack, a wizard asks me what I connected, I tell him that headphones with microphone and everything works.

I thought there was some configuration file in which I told linuix the same, but I start suspecting my headphones.

I will look for others to rule out that the problem is from the system.

On the other hand I bought with the connector and the result is that it does not sound or detect the micronofo U_U.

Maybe in future versions these headphones work well, while trying to try other
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "MasterJd90",

You are welcome...

What about the fullscreen screenshot of Qasmixer with that headset plugged in on the HW mixer and the first HDMI sound card?
MasterJd90

Post by MasterJd90 »

Hi phd21

I already have a converter to only microphone, and recognizes them as headphones, does not give sound and does not record, the screenshots are the same as those I have shown before :(

What I have left is to try other headphones, since I've been looking for information and as you say, almost all work.

I hope the weekend get other headphones to try, and I will be reporting if they work, in order to know that it is the headphones that require something additional that we do not know,

Thanks for your support !

Return to “Sound”