Minimum Configuration for audio purpose

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alfa71omega
Level 1
Level 1

Minimum Configuration for audio purpose

Post by alfa71omega »

Hi all. Before questioning.... I'm a GNU/Linux newbie. I know how to use the GUI but not the command line and I'm not so young so be patient.
I use Windows 10 with foobar2000 and WASAPI for my hi fi equipment but I tried to listen it with another laptop with Mint on board and (personal statement) it sounds better, expecially with Audacius (tried audacius on windows but it's not the same).
I'd like to delete windows 10 and set up a Mint focused system only for audio purpose, so I don't need all of the stuff that is included in Cinnamon. I learned that if I delete something from the system this something could damage other program or function due to dependencies, and as a newbie, I need the GUI. So the question is. How to setup it up correctly? Do I've to check all the dipendences for every single program? Is there a easist way to do?
Last but not least: I also tried the AudioPhile Linux 4.0 but but it's not easy to use... it's not as friendly as Mint
Thanks for suppurt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Minimum Configuration for audio purpose

Post by Hoser Rob »

Playing audio isn't something that needs a lot of horsepower so I don't think leaving Cinnamon as it is will be a problem if it's a dedicated music machine. If it runs Windows 10 OK it should be fine with Cinnamon unless there's a hardware support issue but you don't say anything that'd indicate this.

The best way to go depends on your sound card. For proper system details copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Linux audio can be convoluted but dont't over think things. I use an external USB sound card, and that's the easiest way to go. Any decent player will have an output option something like "direct ALSA output with no conversions". ALSA is the underlying Linux sound system and pulseaudio is overlaid on top of that.

So I set my music players ... either Audacious or Clementine ... to direct stream output via ALSA, and the USB sound card is identified as "usb audio codec". Dont need anything like WASAPI since there's no resampling involved.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
alfa71omega
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Minimum Configuration for audio purpose

Post by alfa71omega »

Hoser Rob wrote:Playing audio isn't something that needs a lot of horsepower so I don't think leaving Cinnamon as it is will be a problem if it's a dedicated music machine. If it runs Windows 10 OK it should be fine with Cinnamon unless there's a hardware support issue but you don't say anything that'd indicate this.

The best way to go depends on your sound card. For proper system details copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Linux audio can be convoluted but dont't over think things. I use an external USB sound card, and that's the easiest way to go. Any decent player will have an output option something like "direct ALSA output with no conversions". ALSA is the underlying Linux sound system and pulseaudio is overlaid on top of that.

So I set my music players ... either Audacious or Clementine ... to direct stream output via ALSA, and the USB sound card is identified as "usb audio codec". Dont need anything like WASAPI since there's no resampling involved.
The sound card on Windows is disabled from hardware manager. Foobar2000 push the files directly to the external USB DAc. Nothing related to audio is involved in the PC

Return to “Sound”